arrow nail master2 ET200

I have just bought an electric arrow nail master2 ET200 (on recommendation). On testing it I have found the brads are proud of the wood surface by about

1/16 to 1/8 inch. I have never used a nail gun before and was wondering if this is normal. I can tap the brads in with a punch, but thought they should have gone at least level with the wood. I am using ordinary softwood. Any ideas what I may be doing wrong? The brads are 25mm 18 gauge suitable for this machine (according to dealer). Thanks Neil
Reply to
Neil

You are not applying sufficient pressure to the nailer. Put more weight on it before you pull the trigger.

Reply to
Grunff

Thanks Grunff. I tried that and it dinted the wood, and still never went below surface. ( I am practising on off cuts) Neil

Reply to
Neil

Hmm, wonder if there's something wrong with your nailer (though can't think what). My Arrow has a tendency to 'bounce', and requires firm pressure, but it does drive the nails in fine.

Reply to
Grunff

It sounds like it needs adjusting. Either that or more gas. Nails need to go in deep enough to allow the filler to grip the sides of the hole they fill. 1/8" is not too much.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

I have spoken to screwfix and they think its a fault and are sending another one out. Neil

Reply to
Neil

Are your brad Arrow ones Grunff or compatible ones? I am using compatible ones recommended by screwfix. Do you think it makes a difference?

Neil

Reply to
Neil

I have a couple of boxes or blue Arrow ones, and an unmarked white box of 'compatibles'. Both work fine.

Reply to
Grunff

In article , Neil writes

I got an ET100 from Screwfix when they had them reduced to 9.99 and it suffers from the problem you describe when there is any give at all in the workpiece or if I fail to apply enough pressure. To get it working consistently I need to use one hand to hold the handle and the other to apply pressure to the back of the head. I don't think it is of the best quality and feel the recoil is likely to mash anything fine you try to fix with it. At the price I regard it as a bit of a toy, perhaps your ET200 is better.

Beware, I have once had it fire whilst being plugged in, fingers were well clear of the trigger.

Reply to
fred

Thanks Fred, this one was £49.99 from screwfix. (£13 cheaper than Axminster or elsewhere) They have sent a replacement next day and it seems better. I will know better tomorrow when I start the panelling. I will heed your warning. Neil

Reply to
Neil