Brad gun recommendations

I am after a brad gun to make single person assembly easier. I just want something I can operate with one hand so I can line panels up tack together whilst the glue is setting.

I would be looking to tack though 6mm MDF or ply and possibly as thick as

12mm. Are cheaper guns able to get through this thickness of wood?

Anyone got any recommendations which are good and which are bad.

Eric

Reply to
Eric the Red

I bought the cheapy one from screwfix. It will fire 2 inch brads into anything (including skin)

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

I've got a £9.99 Screwfix "Nail Master Kit" Brad Gun. You need to use both hands to get the brads to go all the way in. One hand on the trigger, and the other hand to apply pressure to the top of the gun, to ensure the brad goes all the way into the wood.

The gun uses 18ga brads, and includes 2000 each of 15,20 & 25mm brown headed brads.

Haven't used it in 'anger' yet, but testing on a bit of chipboard gave positive results. (I didn't need it in the first place, but at £9.99 it seemed rude not to buy it).

Regards, Steve

Reply to
StevieBoy

Porter Cable and Senco are both excellent products. I have a PC brad nailer (18 gauge) and Senco finish nailers in 16 and 15 gauge sizes as well as a little PC 22 gauge pin nailer.

I had tried a couple of low cost products and they don't really compare. They will fire the brads OK, but tend to have much more recoil which can tend to mar the surface or result in the nailer bouncing slightly. The better products tend to have various mechanisms to deal with these and therefore (IME) give cleaner and more accurate results. The low cost ones aren't bad, however, and will penetrate the thicknesses you have in mind with ease. If you are going to use them a lot, then I think the extra cost is worth it.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

The voice of experience? ;)

The URL is:

bought one recently. Haven't done an awful lot with it yet, but on the one job I tried it on it worked perfectly for my needs. I'm even contemplating buying another as a spare, just in case..... ;)

I guess I'm surprised I haven't seen a few auctions go up on ebay for this nail gun. Some enterprising soul will no doubt buy a few and then try to earn a few bob.

Andrew

Andrew McKay

I also got the £9.99 jobby from Screwfix. Used it for fixing back panels (hardboard) on Ikea furniture, laminate flooring beading and to fix a door jamb in place. Coped with everything so far, although as another poster has said you need to press on the top of the gun to make sure the brads fire fully home.

Jim

Reply to
JimM

I have just had a quick look at the Screwfix website and can't see it but it my be worth an enquiry to them.

The Ferm nailer kit for £100 ish is an excellent product and would do exactly what you are after. The nailer fires 18G brads up to 50mm and does so without any noticable kick back.

I have the equivalent of the £10 electric nailer that a few have recommended and for the price you can't fault it. It does require 2 hand operation though and getting repeatable results is a challenge to say the least.

If you can stretch to £100 I would go for the Ferm kit. If you are interested let me know and I will dig out the order number for you.

Sean

Reply to
Sean Delere

B&Q do similar kits.

Reply to
IMM

StevieBoy wrote in news:dsnjkv8019hems3bs0h2j0qo504v3pppf0@

4ax.com:

Hmphh.. I thought it was a good price when I bought it at £10 off. Now they knock another tenner off - bloody typical!

Reply to
Danny Monaghan