armored cable repair

while technician covering the cable trunking he pierce the 4c 300mm armored cable and make short circuit with ground and the technician fired his hand first degree and part of the cable also melted but only one core ,still th e power is reached to the chiller .how can i repair the damaged cable with out cutting ?it there any soldering thechniqu to do it? i dont want to chan ge the cable because its going throu building aroun 150m.what it the easies t way? please advice.currentlly the machine is stopped

Reply to
gulfhorizonsco

I'm afraid you are going to have to cut it and use some kind of waterproof junction box. I do hope the person who cut it is now taking trauma reduction sessions! He is not MR Bean is he?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

You can't safely.

You will need to cut out the damaged section and replace that bit.

If it needs to remain water tight etc then use the proper SWA cable splice joints (resin or gel filled usually). Alternatively, if its inside a building, a pair of suitable metal boxes and normal glands on all the cut ends will do.

Reply to
John Rumm

ed cable and make short circuit with ground and the technician fired his ha nd first degree and part of the cable also melted but only one core ,still the power is reached to the chiller .how can i repair the damaged cable wit h out cutting ?it there any soldering thechniqu to do it? i dont want to ch ange the cable because its going throu building aroun 150m.what it the easi est way? please advice.currentlly the machine is stopped

When the cable shorted there will be combustion products in it, carbon & ot her muck. So at the very minimum the conductors would need to be physically separated. Perhaps that could be done by splitting the jacket & moving the m apart, soldering a new piece to bridge the broken conductor, then encasin g & resinning the lot. The practical option is to cut it & fit a short new piece in with 2 joins. Or if you're lucky maybe you can pull a corner tight er & use 1 join.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

3 phase 300mm2 cable??? That's road mains size.

WTF are are you asking here for? Get your electrical engineer on the job.

Then find the idiot who was supposed to isolate it before you spiked it and fire him.

Reply to
Tim Watts

ored cable and make short circuit with ground and the technician fired his hand first degree and part of the cable also melted but only one core ,stil l the power is reached to the chiller .how can i repair the damaged cable w ith out cutting ?it there any soldering thechniqu to do it? i dont want to change the cable because its going throu building aroun 150m.what it the ea siest way? please advice.currentlly the machine is stopped

other muck. So at the very minimum the conductors would need to be physical ly separated. Perhaps that could be done by splitting the jacket & moving t hem apart, soldering a new piece to bridge the broken conductor, then encas ing & resinning the lot. The practical option is to cut it & fit a short ne w piece in with 2 joins. Or if you're lucky maybe you can pull a corner tig hter & use 1 join.

thanks for your answer

Reply to
gulfhorizonsco

Tim Watts was thinking very hard :

Well, industrial at the very least.

Absolutely not a job for an amateur after asking questions on a DIY forum.

An armoured cable is incredibly difficult to damage accidently, I wonder if the description might be wrong.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I reckon you might be able to put a woodscrew through with a drill, if you were being very hamfisted about it.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

And haved you ttried to cut armoured cable. I have. Its, erm armoured. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I suspected it was a question from India. If it's UK, do it properly.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

78.100.33.74 is Qatar. I wonder how similar their electrical code is to ours?
Reply to
Graham.

Qatar.

Reply to
Graham.

Uses British style 13 amp outlets and sometimes the older 5 amp round pin outlets. Don't know to what spec the wiring behind them adheres to.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Going to need quite a gorilla to "tug" a bit of slack in a 4 core

300mm^2 SWA ...
Reply to
Andy Burns

or several

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I suspect very similar, but workplace standards of safety appear to be a bit less.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Spiking is a standard method of ensuring a cable is safe to work on.

The principle on English LV and HV systems is to:

1) Isolate the cable;

1a) Earth the cable - the isolators at substations typically have 3 positions: Energized; Isolated; Earthed.

2) Spike the cable at the point of work (it's going to be cut anyway to joint).

Hand spiking in England went out of fashion decades ago - it's a remote controlled explosively driven spike now. The OP is almost certainly from a less developed country.

Even with manual spiking, no one would be holding anything - the spike device is clamped around the cable and a man with a sledgehammer hits the spike, so there's a bit of distance between him and the thing that might go bang.

Reply to
Tim Watts

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com used his keyboard to write :

I've put lots of them in, handling is all about technique.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Did you miss this bit?

"and the technician fired his hand first degree".

Admittedly not English as we know it but I would interpret that as meaning the technician suffered first degree burns.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

A flap wheel in an angle grinder should get the charred flesh off the cable.

Reply to
Andy Burns