Are these car brakes worn?

Hello,
My car was taken to a garage for an unrelated problem. The garage said my brakes were worn and needed replacing. They charged me 30 for the parts and 55 for labour (excluding VAT).
The guy seemed shifty - he said if I paid with cash I wouldn't need to pay VAT!
http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/8355/brakediscs.jpg
Are these brakes worn and were his charges reasonable? I estimate the thickness of the abrasive portion of the parts to be 5mm thick.
Sorry for my ignorance on the subject, I'm a medical student!
Thanks.
Jo

No they are not worn. Those pads have 1000's of miles left.
the-sbray wrote:

Depends. They will certainly be sub par on an long highs speed brake. They are not worn OUT, but they are worn. Marginal call. If you are a once a year service person, and do more than 8000 miles a year, then replacing them is a good idea. If ypu do less than 5000, they almost definitely wont be worn *to the point of damaging the discs* in a year. Although they will be definitely likely to get a bit hot and lose efficiency.
If it were my car, Id do it, if it was the parents car doing 3000 a year on a tight budget, I wouldn't.
the-sbray has brought this to us :

They are worn, but not worn out. Doing my own servicing I would have a set in readiness to go on and be keeping a close eye on them. If some else does your servicing they would be correct to suggest fitting new, rather than letting them run.
--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

They look like they've got plenty of life left.
£30 for parts? What car?
£55 to change 'em? Depends where you are. In the SE, that's towards the lower end of average for an hour's labour - which is not unreasonable. For a little back-street place in the frozen wastelands ooop north, it seems steep.
Adrian wrote:

I live in Cambridge. He charged for 1.5 hours of labour and just the brake pads were replaced.
Jo
were saying:

Reasonable hourly rate, but I think he seems to have included eating his sandwiches & making a cuppa or two in the amount of time.
gurgled happily, sounding much like they

I live in Cambridge. He charged for 1.5 hours of labour and just the brake pads were replaced.
Jo
You may have got off lightly too. Plenty of places seem to insist that you need new discs as well...
Spamlet wrote:

indeed. And then failing to replace the totally seized callipers so the new disk lasted a mere 500 miles.

gurgled happily, sounding much like

Yes, it's always worth checking with a mirror to see if the pads are wearing evenly. The calliper bushes can be cleaned and greased with a dab of copper grease occasionally to make sure they are less likely to favour one side.

Get a Volvo. Disks are cheaper than pads and quicker to change.
In message

But ...
it's a Volvo
--
geoff

scribeth thus

Yes they did ours, mind you it was 15 years old and just run in at 150,000 miles .. rust I believe, more than wear;!..
--
Tony Sayer

Andy Dingley wrote:

Whatt??
Disk, cheaperthan pads?
If that's the case on a volvo, I wonder anyone buys one.

Can't remember the price on ours but very little .. I'll look it up if ah can be arsed..
--
Tony Sayer

On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 17:16:46 +0100, "Spamlet"

With many modern cars, a set of discs will only normally last through two sets of pads, so you rather often do need them.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Manure Occurs.

TBH replacing pads and disks is such a simple job that it's aggravating to see what garages charge. Charging 1.5 hours to replace pads is a rip-off. That's too long even if the job was to replace both front and rear pads. It takes about 30 - 45 minutes to change every single pad on the cars that I own, and I'm fussy anout cleaning everything in sight while I do it. It is the sort of job that anyone with reasonable DIY knowledge could do. With 90 minutes to spare I actually changed all four calipers and pads on one of my cars. After all, all it needs is to undo/redo a total of eight to 12 bolts (depending on the vehicle) and a willingness to get one's hands slightly mucky. I've changed everything in that area of the vehicle (bearings, disks, pads, change of brake fluid) in an afternoon taking lots of time off for tea and pondering. After all I'm not in a hurry and not getting paid.
On accasions when the job has needed doing and I have been too busy to do it mself I've been charged up to 600 + VAT by a main dealer for replacement of two disks and pads. If I buy all four disks, calipers and pads from a motor factors, using original parts, I can expect to pay 260 for the parts. The price of the calipers includes the brake pads. The main dealer marks these prices up to three times the parts cost and then charges almost as much again to fit them.

I could replace my car for 600:-)
But even a non mechanic like me can swap a set of front pads in the street in less than 1 hour using a trolley jack and a few basic tools. On a ramp with air tools it is even easier.
I actually got the local garage to change the pads last time as it was in for an MOT and it was minus 3 outside in the daytime. I supplied the pads and they charged me half an hours labour. Well worth the money in those temperatures. It was not much warmer in their garage.
Adam

Ummmm -- isn't that illegal????? :o)

Steve Firth wrote:

How much do you think the tools cost to do the job? How much the council taxes for the premises? Staff bill? Public Insurance liability? Electricity? Being blamed for the exhaust pipe falling off after changing the spark plugs?
If being a mechanic is so easy you try having a go at it.