Archive search not working?

Anyone else found that searching the uk.d-i-y archive via Google groups seems not to work any more?

Some searches for topics that've been covered a dozen times produce no hits and others just one or two recent postings.

Is there any other means of searching the archive or are old posts effectively inaccessible?

Reply to
mike

Google are the archive - not just the search mechanism these days (since they acquired DejaNews a few years back).

The posts all seem to be there - but the searching can be hit and miss at the moment.

stuff back to Dec 94 - sometimes it will link through to it, but other times not.

Sometimes when you get some hits, click the sort by date link - you then get loads more...

If you have a direct link to them then they can often still be retrieved.

Reply to
John Rumm

You're right. I've tried several groups with the same result. It must be broken. Hopefully they will fix it soon.

Chris

Reply to
chrisj.doran

Groups Help Forum

Discussions > Groups Announcements and Alerts > Some Google Groups Not Being Indexed

June 11

Hello All,

Currently some Google Groups are not being indexed and thus new content is not showing up in search results. We're aware of the issue and hope to have it resolved shortly. Thanks for your patience.

The Google Groups Team

Reply to
Matty F

Thanks for all the replies. Not just me, then...!

Reply to
mike

I think there was a point in time where anybody posting with the magic voodoo to stop GG from archiving their post would also have the nice side-effect of nuking any replies to that post, which can cause some big 'holes' in the archive for long threads.

I'm not sure if that's still the policy, or if Google just ditch the specific post that the user's asked them not to retain.

Reply to
Jules

By timing experiments I have established that they do not in fact delete the posts that request noarchive, they keep them indefinitely in case the authorities wish to see them. The net effect is that when you search for such posts, there may be a long delay while it tries to get together enough posts to show you.

Reply to
Matty F