Best Ladder recommendations in the UK

I'm looking for a 4m (unextended) double extension aluminium ladder. Since I'm quite heavy (17st) I'm after a class 1 industrial grade ladder.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

I also believe the Health and Safety have set up a scheme where old ladders can be exchanged for new with upto a 50% discount - anyone used this?

Many thanks

Reply to
<Will>

Some reputable brands: -

Industrial 500 570314 4.275m closed 7.465m open

Trojan range TRO40D 4.0m closed 7.1m open

Industrial Push-up ladder 2-part 40249 4.07m closed

7.21m open
Reply to
Dave Osborne

I have been pleased with the one I got from screwfix. Made by Lyte, BS EN131 certified very sturdy (and I weigh more than you!).

Not heard anything about it...

Reply to
John Rumm

These have been good for me, and a roofing contractor I deal with:

Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Nor have I, but I'd like too...

GIYF;

------------------------------------------------------ Speedy Hire is urging companies to help cut the number of deaths and injuries caused each year by falls from ladders.

Since 1 July, Speedy Hire has been offering to exchange old and faulty ladders for alternative, safer equipment. This exchange is being carried out in conjunction with the HSE which is conducting on-site inspections across the UK.

Alan Bultitude, managing director for Speedy Western, says: "People need to ensure their ladders are in proper working order. Statistics from the HSE demonstrate the need for more safety awareness when working at height.

"If customers bring in their old ladders to our depot we will conduct a full inspection to see if they meet HSE requirements. With our knowledge we can then advise customers on whether they are using the best products for the intended job. From past experience we know that most people should be using other forms of access equipment when working at height.

I'll investigate further & report back.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

This is the page on the HSE website that links through to the "partner organisations" but it mentions 2008 so not sure if it's still current:

mike

Reading between the lines: Get 'em through the door and sell 'em an access tower on the basis that the HSE are inspecting sites across the UK. The HSE really doesn't like ladders...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Well, neither do I much, I recently bought an access tower, and much prefer it.

Besides the point, but I had good service from these:

Reply to
chris French

they have great prices, promise next day delivery, i ordered a ladder 2 days ago but it hasnt arrived....

[g]
Reply to
george (dicegeorge)

Have you "rung" them ?

Reply to
geoff

geoff wibbled:

Perhaps they've over-extended themselves?...

Reply to
Tim S

to be fair, they do say 'aim to deliver next day' - it isn't a guaranteed service.

FWIW my tower was delivered next day. There was a minor problem (one of the spring clips' spring came detached and I couldn't get it to stay in the hole. A quick phonecall had one by return of post

Reply to
chris French

On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 22:17:46 +0100, Tim S had this to say:

Have you rung them?

Reply to
Frank Erskine

In message , Frank Erskine writes

Pay attention at the back ...

Reply to
geoff

They have oversold and are awaiting delivery.

[g]
Reply to
george (dicegeorge)

Yup, poor stile to use the same pun again...

Reply to
John Rumm