Best DIY window company in the UK.

I'm looking for decent quality uPVC double glazing to fit myself at the best price.
Anyone got a suggestions for a direct source?
South of London/Sussex/Surrey would be best but I can travel.
I've already asked about U-Fit on another thread.

best price.

I've only ever heard good reports about these: http://www.laffords.co.uk
Jerry
DannyBoy wrote:

Not sure if it is close enough for you, but I recently used, and had a good experiance with:
The Future Window Co.Ltd Unit 1, Brook Farm Ind Est Stapleford Rd Stapleford Abbotts Romford Essex RM4 1EJ
Tel: 01708 688098
They will do "supply only" at reasonable prices.
--
Cheers,

John.

What about Wicks?
--
Steve

Look in yellow pages for local companies who make windows. Many will supply for diy fitting. Avoid the large national companies like the plague.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Hmmm and there I was just about to order a UPVC window from Magnet.
Ross

Magnet may be ok, but I would think that they would only stock standard sizes - whereas you really want someone to make them to your specified dimensions.
By "large national companies" I was thinking more of companies like Everest and Anglian - which are large impersonal outfits. It's far better if you can deal directly with the person who's going to make the windows for you.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

I'm very pleased with my Screwfix ones - although they only do stock sizes.
--
*Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.*

B&Q Yeading (the biggest B&Q I know of) has what I suspect are the same: they have Saracen ironmonger.
" > B&Q Yeading (the biggest B&Q I know of) has what I suspect are the same: they

Tony,
Is that really Yeading or a typo for Reading ? (Where is Yeading ?) Also looking for same. Nick

same: they

Yeading's just north of Hayes , between the M4 and M40/A40.
-- Richard Sampson

Yeading, near Hayes: turn off the M4 at J3 and head north about 2 miles, turn right at second roundabout. It claims to be the biggest DIY shed in Middlesex. Go to www.diy.com and click on store finder for a map also at
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/images/maps/yeading_warehouse.gif
writes

You could try Davies & Tate, I think they are in Sussex. Can't say if they are any good or not, sorry. Web site: http://www.upriceufit.co.uk /
On 29 Jun 2004 03:01:50 -0700, danny snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk (DannyBoy) wrote:

Does it have to be plastic? Why not use a top-class metal-framed window from Crittall? They make double-glazed inserts nowadays, and with real hardwood frames, you'd have a sleek, elegant window that will last far longer than you will! As their advertising says: "...steel windows have very slender sight lines allowing a light and airy feel to any room."
Plastic windows are an abomination and a blight across the nation. They are fitted to houses where they simply do not belong, are often of poor quality and don't last all that long. Have a look instead at the modern range of Crittall's products, the "BMW" of window making. They're the ones architects recommend. http://www.crittall-windows.co.uk /
MM

As would be a Crittall window in a Victorian house designed for wood sash windows.
--
*Half the people in the world are below average.

On 29 Jun 2004 03:01:50 -0700, danny snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk (DannyBoy) wrote:

Sir
I use the rehau factory all the local builders use, its cheep and efficient, when I broke some glass a new unit cost me a fiver. Not the best windows out, but for the cost great
Rick