architectural software

Don't make him break out his TCO report! ;)

Reply to
Dan Gravell

Given that all the TCO stuff that shows that SmallNFloppy is cheaper is sponsored by SmallNFloppy in the first place, I'm not going to worry.

Reply to
Huge

I do a lot of design & detail drawings of joinery and other stuff and also planning apps and buiding regs drawings for mostly old building conversions. I use a pencil and a piece of paper. It's really quick, efficient and extremely cheap. The most expensive bit of kit was a

2nd hand drawing board £60.

cheers Jacob

Reply to
jacob

"Dan Gravell" wrote | Huge wrote: | > That'll be why Amazon runs on Linux, will it? | Don't make him break out his TCO report! ;)

That'll be why Microsoft run Hotmail on Linux, don't they?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

"Lurch" wrote | Some free software is very good, some bad. Some paid for | software is very good, some bad. By definition, FOC | software isn't crap.

Yes, if FOC software was crap, nobody would use it. [1]

But because people have paid for commercial software they're damn well going to get their money's worth out of it and use it however s**te it is.

Owain

[1] Even Outlook Express has its advantages.
Reply to
Owain

Wildly off-topic, I know, but I don't believe Hotmail has ever been run on Linux.

Before M$ owned it, Hotmail ran on one of the BSD clones. FreeBSD, if memory serves. M$ tried to transfer it to Windows shortly after buying Hotmail and failed. Some of the system does now (at least claim to) run on Windows. There were stories at one time that FreeBSD and/or Solaris was being used for the back end, but I don't know if that is still true.

FreeBSD still is, obviously, free.

James

Reply to
James Fidell

"James Fidell" wrote | Owain wrote: | > That'll be why Microsoft run Hotmail on Linux, don't they? | Wildly off-topic, I know,

uk.d-i-y.operating-systems ?

| but I don't believe Hotmail has ever been run on Linux.

Oops, Linux is not the only *nix :-)

| Before M$ owned it, Hotmail ran on one of the BSD clones. | FreeBSD, if memory serves. M$ tried to transfer it to Windows | shortly after buying Hotmail and failed. Some of the system | does now (at least claim to) run on Windows. There were | stories at one time that FreeBSD and/or Solaris was being | used for the back end, but I don't know if that is still true.

Actually, Hotmail uses FreeBSD for certain functions, and Solaris for their big servers.

" read more. -lt ed
is the OS of preference for many of the most highly trafficked sites on the Internet today, including: Altavista, their firewall Hotmail, over 400 machines YAHOO!, over 100 machines LinkExchange, over 60 machines

Owain

It sure don't run on Windoze...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I wasn't thinking of them in particular, no. It's a general malaise.

Reply to
John Laird

And just who do you think owns most Linux shares?

Bill Gates does!

Reply to
PJ

Mmm. do;t think that is correct.

Micro Snot has a large stake in SCO, true, but there are no 'linux' shares as such.

Red Hat is actually making a profit out of selling SUPPORT and TRAINING services and runnig a DISTRIBUTION of Linux, but it doesn't own the code.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

PJ is demonstrating a consistently high, almost IMM-like level of cluelessness...

Reply to
Grunff

Err no. Gates bought a huge chunk of Linux around 4 yrs ago. It's quite a well known fact.

Reply to
PJ

Err... I don't know why I'm bothering, but here goes...

When you say "Gates bought a huge chunk of Linux", which company are you referring to?

Reply to
Grunff

Linux is a free Unix-type operating system originally created by Linus Torvalds with the assistance of developers around the world. Developed under the GNU General Public License , the source code for Linux is freely available to everyone. It cannot be "bought" in the way you suggest

Nick Brooks

Reply to
Nick Brooks

He's joking, feining ignorance.

As with my attempt at irony re. TCOs above, such tone does not always convey very well in one dimensional data.

Reply to
Dan Gravell

I have been using MyHouse by

a bit clunky and takes a bit of getting used to but it is very cheap. Its geared to American standards but it provides tons of features.

Arthur.

Reply to
Arthur

There are no such thing as "Linux shares".

Reply to
Huge

I pulled one (A0) out of a skip a couple of years ago

I still haven't got around to replacing the missing carousel

Reply to
geoff