Aqualisa mixer replacement cartridge 600 - installing

Hi All,

I have been advised by AL support that I need cart # 022802 (the multipoint version) - I can get the old one out easily enough, but I am aware that the gromits/seals need replacing, which I understand can be tricky (special tool?). The one I'm wary of if at the receiving end of the cartridge shaft, in the plastic housing - it looks tricky to get out and to replace.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, Tom

Reply to
Tom

You got Aqualisa to concede that their mixers can be repaired? I have a relative who has three Aqualisa units in the home and two of them need new mixer cartridges. Aqualisa said that the only alternative is to replace the entire unit. So that's what is going to happen but it won't be an AL unit going back in there.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I changed mine some years ago and it was so straightforward I don't remember any details. But the actual unit is some 25 years plus old - modern ones might be different.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Things must have changed as I found them very helpful. But the replacement cartridge costs more than some shower units complete. Unless they were asking about repairing an actual cartridge. I tried - since all that was wrong with mine was it wouldn't turn off fully. But changing all the O rings didn't sort it. Exactly as Aqualisa said. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dear Tom

I am a veritable expert on this and Aqualisa I found them to be uniformly helpful and had no problem getting replacement cartridges FOC if they were under x years old (? two or

3?) and they admitted to a design fault in one set that had been produced in about 2003/ 2005 where I had to keep replacing them over a few months. I had about 3 in a year! The original designed one lasted about 15 years until 20th June 2003. the replacement did not work and it was replaced again FOC. It broke again 10/01/2005 (I am a bit anal with records as it is a wonderful way of getting replacements foc) The present one has lasted 3 so far. I cannot recall what I paid for the replacement after 15 years but it was in a shop in Fulham and was not THAT pricy. Now to the tool. The Aqualisa guy actually sent a tool from the office on the basis that I send it back with the defective element. It was effectively a dental hook for cleaning teeth!!! It is simply not possible easily to put in the remove O ring without some similar tool and "relatively" easy but not that easy to do it with the right tool. you need a sharpISH point on the end and the curve on the hook is about 5 to 10 mm radius and the whole tool is about 6" long. It took me about a minute or so of attempts to get in in the groove.

The names of the persons I spoke and wrote to that were helpful are: "Natalie" (01959 -560088) by telephone call 12/03/07 and letter dated

22nd March 2007 I wrote to Philip Houston on Monday 10th Jan 2005 concerning a call I made to him on 10th Jan 2005 (during my troubles with the duff parts) I also had good service from Matt Williams.

The service was so good that when I build a new house with showers I bought three new Aqualisas

The instruction manual has the figures 034116/02/05 as an identifier.

Chris

Reply to
safety

Hi Chris,

Many thanks for the very detailed reply, you are a star !

The tool you describe sounds a bit like a hand made rug tool I have (its a small hook on a handle basically), I assume that this is just used to get the O ring (at the back of the white plastic housing) out, not to put it in... am I right? Otherwise I'll have to contact AL as you say.

My local plumbers had a tool they recommended for this that looked (to me) a bit like pliers. I couldn't see how that would help. I'll go and find the name of it, perhaps it would work.....

I have another AL mixer that's leaking (a manual model 409) that has had very little use in an en suite bathroom. And its started leaking. I think I may have installed that in 2002 or 2003 possibly - I suppose I need a new cart for that one too ! I'll be ruined at this rate.... more so !

Thanks again for everyone's help,

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Hi Chris again,

You mention an instruction manual - where can I get this?

Rgds, Tom

Reply to
Tom

It came with the replacement cartridge from Aqualisa if they have not supplied one I can scan and send it to you off line

chris

I cannot remember precisely if the tool was for getting out or popping in - I think both but have this suspicion that you are right that getting it out is the problem I know that I tried with all sorts of things without success until they supplied the right tool and was surprised that it was as small and sharp as it was chris

Reply to
safety