Apprentice humour

I never said he was useless, and i'm sure he has potential.
I just thought it laughable that the only job he has excelled at of late is making me look like a ###t.
But maybe that's the easiest job he's been given, eh?
On Wed, 07 Nov 2018 11:09:27 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"

One of my longest standing (15 years) bosses used to do just that, interview potential technicians himself and in general he was able to sort the wheat from the chaff.
Then we got 'HR' and psychometric tests and a trail of 'strange people' who never seemed to last.
Cheers, T i m

Yes - unless a huge company, he probably also knew the type that would fit in well with others on the team. Which can be just as important as simply doing the job.

Such tests were likely devised in an attempt to avoid having anyone who actually knew what they were doing on a board or whatever.
--
*When the going gets tough, use duct tape

And he would be seen as discriminatory in today's climate.

You really do talk rubbish.
--
*Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional

Just more in touch with reality than you.

Which isn't difficult.
--
bert

But perfectly legal as long as he didn’t do that on race or sex.

On Wed, 07 Nov 2018 15:17:51 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"

Quite.

Absolutely ... and we were quite a good team ... the fact that we had all stayed together probably proved that (apart from those one or two who moved away for pastures new etc).

Quite possibly!
We took on a marketing manager under such a system. No one liked him and we eventually had to pay him off (£100k or so) to get rid of him as he was pulling everone else down AND not doing the sort of numbers he promised.
Cheers, T i m

I've told this before. In our workshop, we used to take a student per year from the local technical college for work experience. Each year the same tutor brought them in to introduce them. Most were excellent.
Then, the last year, he turned up looking very embarrassed, saying he had been ordered to place someone not from a technical course, but from their dance department.
So we ended up with a nice young lady who fitted in OK apart from a tendency to spend extended lunch hours in the shops.
We taught her to solder and she made some useful test boxes for us. I think we were told that eventually she joined a dance troupe bound for Egypt. I've often wondered what became of her and whether she found the training useful.
--
Bill

But its far from clear that doing it that way does eliminate or even reduce the number of unsuitable types recruited. That’s why it’s a much better approach to have a probationary period as well.