Appliance bulb

I bought two of these at Maplins, at 80% off. I now realise I'm not sure what they are for. The last time I went to a 'proper' electrical wholesaler, he told me different bulbs are needed for oven and fridge. Does anyone know?

Reply to
Scott

Oven lamps are high temperature (300C), and usually 25W or 40W. Fridge are usually 15W (although I would use an LED nowadays). Lots of different proprietary lamp bases for microwaves.

None of us have a clue what you bought.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Indeed. It may be worth mentioning that vanilla bulbs also work in ovens, they're just more likely to suffer cap glue failure at the high temps, requiring pliers to unscrew when dead.

At 80% off you probably paid 4x their value.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Not too clear myself, hence the question. Described as Eveready appliance pygmy bulb 15W. No mention I can find of the intended appliance.

Reply to
Scott

I rather doubt this as I paid 30 pence for each.

Reply to
Scott

Typical Maplin - no meaningful specification on most things they sold.

Reply to
alan_m

Actually they may be useless anyway as they are BC22, which is not the correct fitting for the fridge. I can check oven later (too hot now) but I suspect this will be a screw fitting also. No refunds of course as Maplins are in administration.

Reply to
Scott

If they don't say good for ovens then they're good for other uses, eg fridge, sewing machine, cooker hood etc. Oven & microwave appliance bulbs have extra ratings, you can use them there but I've already described the downside.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Scott submitted this idea :

Normal bulbs will work in a fridge, but not good in a oven. Make sure they are genuine 240v versions, there are lots of 230v ones around which last only weeks on UK voltages.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

It's 220-240 Volts but bayonet cap, so not a fridge bulb at all. No refunds as Maplins now in administration. What's an 'appliance bulb' if it is no good in fridges or ovens?

Anyone wanting them can have them free of charge.

Reply to
Scott

Hoover?

Reply to
charles

Maybe, but I have a Dyson. I wonder how many modern appliances use BC fittings. Next time it will be a visit to the electrical wholesaler with the old bulb in my pocket.

Reply to
Scott

1000hr 220v bulbs last about 300hrs on 240v.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Cooker hoods, some 1960s/70s hoovers, decorative tablelamps, lighting strings, sheds, etc etc. Also could be used in microwave, though not the approved type.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Only if actually made in the UK, I'd guess. So none? ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com expressed precisely :

Maybe try to explain that to my oven :oÞ

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

raised temp & vibration complicates the picture. Ditto an iffy electrical c onnection in the lampholder or a small unventilated fitting.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr