Anyone recognise this intercom equipment?

In which case banging it on something hard would bump replacement up the priority list.

Reply to
Jón Fairbairn

Thanks. That more or less confirms what others have said.

I've found a system wiring diagram on the Bell Systems web site, but haven't been able to find any details of the internals of the 801. Do you know whether it has IDC/Krone type connections inside? Better still, any idea where I can find a manual for the handset rather than just a diagram of the overall system?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Not a proper wiring diagram, but when I had to fix a door entry system last year I used this to help me

know it not what you want but it may help you.

Cheers

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I don't mean to alarm you but... where's Flat 2?

Reply to
mike

Nothing to be alarmed about - it's a ground-floor flat with its own separate entrance and thus outside the scope of this entry system.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Thanks Adam - interesting, but doesn't really shed any new light on the scene.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Can't remember what each wire is called now, but:

Common - goes to 'hoop' of hookswitch Transmit - goes to transmitter, then back to one spring of hookswitch, through spring to common when off-hook. Receive - goes to speaker, then then back to other spring of hookswitch, through spring to common when off-hook. Release - goes through lock button to common Call - goes through buzzer to common.

All except Call are wired in parallel across all handsets.

The old 801s certainly used to be screw terminals on the PCB.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Do f*ck off you sad wanker.

Cheers

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I don't mean to alarm you but... where's Flat 2?

Remember those arrays of bell-pushes where are the residents coincidently were called Freidland?

Reply to
Graham.

ROFL!!

John

Reply to
John Nice

I assume that most of what you describe above is part of the pre-existing internal wiring, and that I simply have to connect the external wires to the appropriate terminals.

Is is fair to assume that the terminals are labelled Z, T, O, R, I (or maybe 1) as per the system diagram?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Hi To try and clear thing up a bit the system can be broken down into 3 sections.

1 Speech. This is a 3 wire system using a speech module located in the front panel and a handset shaped like a phone containing an earpiece and a microphone. It works like the old intercom units rather than a phone. Wiring is simple . 12v AC to the model 61 speech amp terminals C + and H - The earpiece and mic' then connect to R mic' T earpiece and O common for both. All phones are in parallel.

2 Signalling. The early handsets had an AC buzzer inside (just a coil with a metal plate above it) but your picture is of the newer 801 series which has an electronic warbler cct on the pcb of the phone. This works just like a door bell.

12 ac from C+ on speech amp to common on all push buttons at front panel. Other side of push button to I terminal on handset. Circuit completes in handset by internal connection to O terminal on pcb at phone.

3 Lock release. AC lock connects to C terminal of speech amp and is activated by handset via Z terminal on phone. This connects to O at handset when release button is pressed on handset.

The handset wiring is simple the earpiece section has the earphone/mic inserts sharing a common return wire . These then feed via the coiled flex to the base unit where they are either soldered directly to the pcb or plug in on 3 micro bullet type pins.

From experience I find that the handsets are very reliable and the fault is normal the speech amp as it is open (via the front grill) to the weather and insects.

As to repairing the handsets I normally just replace them as they are only around £10 -£15 and as they say time is money. But if you like tinkering or are stuck for parts then repairs are simple 2 screws hold the earpiece together and wiring is exposed all terminals are fixed with Mini spade clips so you can easily swap out parts.

Working on these regularly I have loads of 'bits' in my junk box so if you are really stuck let me know.

HTH CJ

Reply to
cj

Many thanks for the explanation.

The symptoms point to the individual handset (or possibly the wiring) because all the other flats can apparently communicate with the outside box ok.

Anyway, I'm replacing the handset (I have one on order from an Ebay company) and hope that that fixes the problem.

What are the connections inside the 801 - are they IDC or screw terminals?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Yes.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

The system is probably wired in 6-core phone wire back to spaghetti junction behind the entry panel.

As it uses 4 parallel wires, and 1 call wire per phone, you should have a spare wire somewhere.

The handset mic and common wires (R? and O?) should be wired using a twisted pair, preferably.

Reply to
Owain

There's a brick-sized junction box absolutely stuffed full of wires on the first floor landing, which is probably the 'spaghetti junction' to which you refer. Last time I was there, I took the lid off to have a look - and put it back on pretty quickly!

True. Could be a bit of a challenge to find it, though!

That stacks up with the blurb which accompanies the system diagram, which says that R and O should use one of the pairs. Not sure which is the mic though, 'cos the handset and the entry panel each have terminals labelled T and R (presumably transmit and receive) which are connected T-T and R-R - so they must be lying at one end or the other!

Reply to
Roger Mills

You big softy. I had to second fix this buildings video door entry system after the guys that first fixed it were fired. Not one cable was labelled.

You really need to see if a neighbour will allow a handset swap to test things out.

Cheers

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

The panel is the same as ours (Barnton or similar), but I can't remember - we bought the contract out years ago. The user end is different in appearance (but not function).

The hand sets are generic - mic, earpiece and a switch, so there are many options on the marked

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

BSTL was resold by Eagle, and probably others.

Not /quite/ generic, Entryphone have a list of compatabilities.

all use carbon transmitters, some use Ac or DC for the call buzzers, etc

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Hi Terminals are simple screw type marked I-T-O-R-Z

A quick test we do to check the phone is pick up the handset and blow into the mic with the phone at your ear,you should hear it in the earpiece echo from the door unit. Good luck CJ

Reply to
cj