Anyone got the Yellow book spare?

[snip]

Hi Tim

There are no alternative publishers for the actual regs etc and frankly I fell they are a bit of a rip-off. If anything, they should be provided free, but I don't wish to court controversy.

The latest actual regs have a blue cover and do not make light reading, but are THE source of reference for any electrician. Generally, the On Site Guide is the natural companion to the actual regs and most courses, AFAIK, would specify both as course materials. All my course notes refer to both.

The OSG is certainly more readable than the actual regs themselves but it depends what use you are looking to put them to. If you are just wanting to get an understanding without actually doing the course, then I would think one of the many books on the subject are better suited, since they are less likely to be written in 'regs-speak' - another language altogether sometimes.

It is worth remembering that the regs are not law. They are not statutory. The idea is that a 'Competent Person' can interpret them to provide the safest design and installation of anything electrical. The definition of a Competent Person is another can of worms waiting to be debated!

HTH Rob

Reply to
Kalico

You're right of course, but standards are a real money spinner. Take a look at the ISO web site sometime. However, the standards bodies do need to fund their activities.

BS7671 is cheap on the scale of some of the stuff in there and of course the IEE does have to pay for the opulent Faraday House on every day of the week.

One of the tricks is to do loads of cross references to other standards and to make them a bit obscure so that you can't tell whether you need to refer to them or not to get the information required. The EU Machinery Directive and the referenced standards is a great example of that.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Ah Yes!

Ever tried to get Building Regs, the Fire Officer and the local planning guy all agreeing to the same thing?

The only solution is to get all the buggers on site at the same time and let them argue it out.

Sell tickets!

Rob

Reply to
Kalico

You mean ordering is pointless...

"Sorry, we're out of stock and won't be ordering any more"

CPC really piss me off at times

Reply to
geoff

2 years - what are you complaining about?
Reply to
geoff

It's the way that they expect you to pay for their mistakes which I'm begining to loathe. Twice now they have sent me an incorrect part, but before sending the correct one out they have insisted that I post the other back at my own expense complete with their "returns number".

Grrr...

The weekly/fortnightly mailshots are worse than the catalogue, by the way.

Hwyl!

M.

Reply to
Martin Angove

I had to return something this week. If it's under 750g, I get them to send me a prepaid label. Rang them yesterday, got returns number, label arrived this morning, part now in post back to them. Yes, they want to charge you for replacement and credit later but they are not alone in that.

Reply to
Bob Eager