Door hanging

I need to replace an internal bedroom door. It is the 6 panel white type. The problem is the door is somewhat narrower than standard. The existing door is 27 3/4" wide as opposed to 30", I can find a narrow door in B&Q (special order) but that is only 27" wide. I would need to trim 1 1/8" off of both edges to keep it all symetrical. Does anybody know how much can be trimmed from each edge in order to keep some 'meat' there for the hinge screws to bite into. Also what is the best way to acheive this without chipping/tearing the finished faces. I have a selection of tools i.e 1/2" router, circular saw, jigsaw etc. I would assume the router and a straight edge is the best but would the router cause any damage to the white surfaces?

TIA

John

Reply to
John

using internal panel doors and removing over 25mm per side you will have big problems. I suspect that the timber is not much more than that

27" is a standard door size and shouldnt really be to special order
Reply to
Mike Taylor

I had a similar problem in my old house, the bathroom door was narrower than the others. I can't remember the exact sizes but I had to remove about 3inches off the long side to fit.

I split the long edges of the door facing from the frame and removed the long battens and the rather insubstantial "lock block" they will come away quite cleanly with the aid of a paint scraper. A chisel is too steep and may cut into the face if you slip.

I then carefully removed 1.5 inches from either side of the top and bottom battens with a hacksaw blade. Then it's just a matter of glueing up the long battens and lock block and sliding them back in like so: (scuse crappy ascii art)

Jet

My thoughts exactly!

All the rest of my doors are 2' 6" (30") and B&Q's are aswell. They can order a 27" wide one for me but that is 3/4" too narrow. I have since been to Jewsons and they can get me a Premdoor at 28" wide...perfick!

Thanks anyway

John

Reply to
John