Any thing spring to mind?

Hi chaps,

wanted to pick your brains- i have a large stock pot with a hole in the bottom connected to a copper pipe to a pump.

this pipe and pump needs cleaning and sterilising but the stock pot doesn't need to be...the problem i have is that in order to clean the pipe and pump I'm having to fill the stock pot with a lot of cleaner/steriliser.

I have a solution though- use a pipe about 2inches in diameter(minimum) over the outlet in the bottom of the stock pot; pressed firmly against the bottom it will seal and i can just fill the pipe and not the whole pot. Ideally it would be heavy enough to seal with its own weight, so i can just pop it over the outlet and fill it up with cleaner solution.

I just need to find something off the shelf somewhere that it a cylinder with a seal on one end like i have described.

Any ideas? There must be something out there...

Ta chaps

Steve

Reply to
Mr Sandman

Connected how: compression fitting, soldered? Do you need to sterilise the outer parts of the connection inside the pot, if you see what I mean? What sort of pipe diameter? What's wrong with a rubber bung on a funnel pushed down the tube? With that arrangement, could you sterilise the "outside" bits with a suitable spray?

Reply to
Newshound

Connected how: compression fitting, soldered? Do you need to sterilise the outer parts of the connection inside the pot, if you see what I mean? What sort of pipe diameter? What's wrong with a rubber bung on a funnel pushed down the tube? With that arrangement, could you sterilise the "outside" bits with a suitable spray?

The pipework is connected to the pot by a brass tank connector, the bit inside the pot is about 40mm in diameter.

a bung could be a solution but it could easily become dislodged, especially if it has a funnel or pipe going to another vessel attached to it.

The outside of the pipe to the pump does not need treating, just the inside.

Thanks chaps

Steve

Reply to
Mr Sandman

I don't really understand the system you describe.

Why do you need to fill the pot?

Use a hose down the pipe and fill it via a funnel to fill the pipe only as high as the funnel pot, or is the pipework and pump above the drain hole height?

Maybe you could dismantle the stock pot from the pipe and take it out of the system altogether?

Reply to
Paul - xxx

I don't really understand the system you describe.

Why do you need to fill the pot?

- so i can use the pump to pull cleaning solution through the pipe and pump from the pot.

Use a hose down the pipe and fill it via a funnel to fill the pipe only as high as the funnel pot, or is the pipework and pump above the drain hole height?

-the pipe goes down hill to the pump. problem with the hose solution is it may spill.

Maybe you could dismantle the stock pot from the pipe and take it out of the system altogether?

- its permanently fixed in place, i cant take it apart(or rather i can but its not the solution to the problem), i need to repeat the procedure regularly.

Ta

steve

Reply to
Mr Sandman

Is there any reason you don't want to sterilise the pot as well? Cost? Damage by the chemicals?

I'd have thought that if you don't sterilise the pot, the first timme you run the system, you're back to stage one with a contaminiated system.

Reply to
John Williamson

I'm also puzzled, diluted bleach must cost a penny at most.

NT

Reply to
NT

Is there any reason you don't want to sterilise the pot as well? Cost? Damage by the chemicals?

I'd have thought that if you don't sterilise the pot, the first timme you run the system, you're back to stage one with a contaminiated system.

its fine to sterilise the pot, but the aim is to not use so much sterilising fluid. the rest of the pot will be sterilised by boiling but the pipe and pump doesn't get sterilised so it has to be done first.

steve

Reply to
Mr Sandman

I'm also puzzled, diluted bleach must cost a penny at most.

Cant use bleach as it will pit the stainless pot and pipes as it could be in contact for some time.

Steve

Reply to
Mr Sandman

Can you mostly-fill the pot with something hygenic that almost fits, like a big saucepan, to reduce the volume of liquid?

Chris

Reply to
chrisj.doran%proemail.co.uk

"Mr Sandman" wrote: [snip]

Bollocks.

BTW any chance that you could learn how to post? Because you do not quote the previous message correctly it is difficult to work out what you have said and what the previous poster said.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Bollocks.

BTW any chance that you could learn how to post? Because you do not quote the previous message correctly it is difficult to work out what you have said and what the previous poster said.

Reply to
Mr Sandman

pot, kettle, black?

Reply to