Any RF types out there. Needs ->.<- more power at 400 Mhz!

I have one of these gizmos from Maplin that allows you to turn on a 13A socket using a remote control box. It works quite well but the range is optimistic at

25 yards :-)

Just wondered if there is some simple tweak I can do to up the xmitter power just a teensie-weensie amount to get a little extra range?

Xmitter is 435 Mhz and looking inside the box there is a 10 turn coil antenna. I tried putting a few cm of thin copper wire in and around it and managed to detune it quite well ;-) (well you never know). I thought maybe a slight (0.5v?)supply volatge increase may do it but that'd need an extra battery.

I'm guessing the rx cicuits in each of the 13A sockets is even more difficult to "improve"? Is fun trying anyway.

ps Please, no warning about the mains - I am aware of that risk, thanks.

Reply to
dave

Can you please enlighten me as to what purpose these GIMMICKS are useful for?

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Another possibility would be to convert to X10. Plug the transmitter/receiver in somewhere good for reception (a first floor socket is probably better than a ground floor one), and then it's mains-borne signalling from that point to the socket outlet with a lamp or appliance module is which you want to remote control. You can also add computer interfaces and do things like remote switching over the internet.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

They're useful when you have power points in not very accessible places, and you want to switch appliances on and off without physically having to operate the switch on the power point. For example, I have an outside floodlight which lights my pond and which is powered from a point under a desk in an upstairs bedroom. Using one of these 'gimmics' I can switch the lights on and off from the lounge below. Likewise a standard lamp, powered from a point in a corner of the room which I would have to grovel behind furniture to reach.

Reply to
Set Square

I don't know about extending the range. Somehow they seem to work better when you *don't* have direct line of sight! One thing guaranteed to stop them working is to plug two receivers into adjacent sockets in a double power point. Even though they're on different channels, they need to be separated by a few feet.

Reply to
Set Square

That will only give you an even teensie-weensier increase in range (inverse square law applies here).

Reply to
Paul Herber

Indeed so - but it's probably be the easiest option to try. I only want an extra

10 feet or so. In fact it works *sometimes* at that range already.

As to the gimmic aspect, I use the gimmic that I canpress the button on the xmitter and a light comes on above my garage door. I can then turn it off with the receiver when I get in the house. + no control wires needed.Better option for me than a timer as I usually end up fiddling about on-route (looking for gimmicks in the bushes :-) )

Reply to
dave

dave wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Hold it against your head when using it.

It increases the range of my motorbike dongle by a factor of five or more.

And I'm todl ti deosnt hrma yewr rbian

mike

Reply to
mike ring

You don't say what type of coil the takes; is it a flat pcb coil? The reason I ask is that a reasonably efficient aerial, but still compact, would be a normal-mode helical aerial. This takes the form of a spiral of wire, which, when straightened out would be 95% of the length of a quarter wavelength. You can do the maths, but I make that roughly 19cm long. Wind it into a coil, with the diameter of the coil, I dunno, maybe 6mm. That'll give you about 10 turns, and pull the coiled wire out slightly so that the length of the coiled aerial is about 3-4cm, at any rate with each coil separated from its neighbours. It's not possible to really get this right without test equipment, but it might be worth a try. You will have to disconnect the existing spiral aerial first. If it works at all, tweak the new helical aerial ( length when wound etc ) for best performance.

Andy.

Reply to
Andy

Erm! my floodlight comes on when I walk into the yard it also goes off on its own accord, its called a "timed switch". My standard lamp has a switch on the lamp fitting without the need to bend down behind the chair.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Some form of reflector to make the aerial directional.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In article , Dave Plowman (News) writes

That is quite sensible as to mess around with the aerial it already has may well de-tune it all and make it less "good" that what it was...

Reply to
tony sayer

Incredible but true. I saw Clarkson doing it on top-gear a while back and have used it to much success.... though putting in new batteries is easier.

:¬)

Reply to
PeTe33

The TX coil is a closewound (enamel covered) wire, soldered to the pcb. It is about 10 turns of about 5mm diam. I could easiy remove it without changing its shape. It would be easy enough to make another coil, open-wound as Andy said and mount it externally. I'll try that sometime and post what happens. Good fun anyway (sad, sad)! No too keen on the head-amplifier though (that explains a lot about Clarkson :-) )

Reply to
dave

I've got to try it on my van remote. The remote is quite pathetic and won't operate the locks when standing behind the van only from the side or the front.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Ed Sirett wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@makewrite.demon.co.uk:

If you *are* worried about your brain, I've found railings, lamp posts, etc are effective.

mike

Reply to
mike ring

"Pet @

;¬)" wrote in news:Euwqf.13168$ snipped-for-privacy@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

I like a guy who can use his head! but new batteries is nothing like as effective

mike

Reply to
mike ring

dunno if its possible, but isn;t this close to UHF TV frequencies..equipping the reciever with a Yagi Array, slightly modded up would seem a good way to go..:-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Tried it today made no difference at all. So brain will remain unfried anyway.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

You need a large resonate cavity between the ears . . . That's why it works so well for Clarkson ;-)

-
Reply to
Mark