Any recomendations for a new multi meter please?

Got the last two from Rapid and RS.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Care to say how much?

Even the 1.5v volt one on mine is not something you'll find locally.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I was joking. Still it's a nice old thing to have.

E.

Reply to
eastender

Have you got links to the batteries Bob? I'd like to get them for my Avo.

E.

Reply to
eastender

It was a while ago. I know there are two different models of 15v battery anyway.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Quite. AVOs always struck me as overpriced ad absurdam for what they were.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

But that that in context of the time they were built and used and its not that surprising..

As to the original request Fluke anytime, get a second-hand one off ebay or try "Stewart of reading" he sometimes has used model 77 's at the right price.

Wouldn't have anything else;!...

Reply to
tony sayer

You could still buy a AVO 8 new until recently, IIRC. Thick end of a grand. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Me too. It sort of "died" about 18 months ago - but then made a Lazarus like recovery immediately AFTER I bought a replacement for it. Bastard. I still use it in preference to the replacement UNI-T one. Familiarity rules, I guess.

I don't have that problem. My Maplin WG is instant and doesn't have an auto-range facility, unlike the new one which does, and takes an age.

But the WG is way overspecified for the OP's needs. It does capacitance, inductance, diodes and transistors in addition to the core multimeter functions so wouldn't be suitable IMV.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Their price might have made sense in the '20s, but decades later it had lost all connection with basic sense. And from my limited time using them, I was never impressed, any reasonably decent modern meter is better.

I like some old stuff, but AVOs no.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Yes, but this is "pwopper quality" we're talking here and it doesn't come cheap. None of your Chinese junk that falls to bits in 5 minutes. There was another English firm that made this gargantuan, museumesque type of stuff, too. Megger was it? Probably folded decades ago.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I stand correcting myself! Still in business, it transpires! So then, which is the better buy: Megger or Fluke?

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

2008 and it was just over £850 plus VAT...
Reply to
Bob Eager

The same English firm, actually!

Reply to
Bob Eager

I believe Fluke - or at least some models - are now made in China.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It's not a multimeter you need. It's a voltage continuity tester Fluke T90

Reply to
ARW