New 'Workmate' recomendations please

My old B&D Workmate had a terminal experience with a Deere by the name of John and needs replacing.

The modern replacement appears to be a WM536 but I wondered if anyone had any recommendations for any other type or has experienced and would not recommend a 536. My price cap is £75 as it does not get a lot of use.

Reply to
Mark Allread

I made a portable workbench that was simply 1/4 of a pallet plus a vice in one corner. Found it much more useful than the workmate. Never got round to fitting legs.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Why would you fit legs to a Workmate? It's an all-in-one device, which folds flat for storage.

Reply to
charles

I have one - it's quite solid (I can stand on it!).

Reply to
Tim Watts

I use one of these, love it!

TMH

I have a basic Workmate, WM301, and I can stand on that, too. People who have the Keter bench swear by it, though.

Lidl are doing a workbench currently for 15 quid. It has an MDF top, so don't leave it out in the rain!

Reply to
GB

Well what self respecting deer would want to be called John, it has no forest cred and is just not cool in Deer social circles these days. Come the Rut he would be the laughing stock of the other stags!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Not in Hoxton or Shoreditch, where it would be known as a stylish occasional table.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Thanks TMH and TW - advice from people I'm happy to take advice from!

Reply to
Mark Allread

It proved a lot more useful. Obviously Jim hasn't tried it so doesn't know. The slatted top also proved to be a useful feature, unexpectedly.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I got some wolfcraft thing IIRC wene my old one died

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

stylish UPCYCLED occasional table.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Stylish Japanese ethnic occasional table.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I've seen a whole suite of furniture made from pallets. Looked good when covered up :)

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Depending on what kind of work you are doing, it might also be worth looking at the Triton supejaws:

Much more clamping force than with a workmate.

(there is also an XL version - and some other brands do similar things)

Reply to
John Rumm

Pardon me.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Only in your mind!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Thanks John, a useful looking tool but not really what I am looking for.

Reply to
Mark Allread

I prefer this style:

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Very similar to the one they were selling in lidl for £14.99 recently.

Reply to
dennis