Any problem with using a flue for an air conditioner?

One of my sons is renting a room and wants to use a small free standing air con unit. Venting through the window is not feasible but there is a vent in the blanked off chimney breast that has a good draught. Can anyone forsee possible problems with using this for the air coming out of the AC? I wondered about condensation.

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott

If its the type that collects water in an internal tank, then the exhaust ought to be basically just hot air. The posher ones however re-evaporate their condensate on the hot side of the heat exchanger and expel moist air. The latter type would not be suitable.

Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks very much for that. For posher I guess you can read more expensive. We are looking at smallish cheap ones, so I think I now need to look for one that has a tank.

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott

Most portable units only have marginal ability to overcome friction in their outlet pipes. I connected one to about 3m of vertical open ended soil pipe a while back and it virtually stopped working. This was one with a tank. A lot depend on whether you have a separate air inlet into the room. If not then the A/C unit is trying to pump air out of a sealed box. If you do have an air inlet then this could bring in warm humid air so whilst you have a good airflow now, the cooling and dehumidifying effect is compromised.

Basically , don't expect these portable units to work anything like as well as a 2 part fixed installation.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Good point. Thanks. Looks like we might have to try to make some sort of horizontal vent. Can't cut the glazing and he's not happy to leave a window opening as it's a ground floor room in a fairly dubious area.

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott