converting a sleeve air conditioner to a window

just wondering if there are kits for this sort of thing available. my mother in law is giving us a 10,000 BTU ac but it's an in wall unit and we dont have a sleeve in the house, so want to stick it in a window.

model is a frigidaire WAH106H1T (a google search turns up absolutely nothing on any model beginning with WA, they all seem to start with FAxxxxxxxx)

thanks!

Reply to
RobR

If you have the sleeve it is no problem. Mount a couple of angle irons top and bottom so it will not fall out the window, and fill in the sides with plywood or Styrofoam. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

If this is an older model, why screw with it? Window airconditioners have gotten pretty cheap and efficient.

Reply to
toller

- toller -

- Nehmo - But not cheaper than free.

Reply to
Nehmo Sergheyev

Hi Greg,

Just a heads up.......

Seems obvious from his post that he doesn't have the sleeve and is looking for some alternative.....

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

I agree. I was just at Home Depot this morning and its amazing how cheap they are. Besides, the sleeve unit might not be good for the windows being too heavy. The new window units are a lot lighter.

Reply to
Mikepier

On 6/10/2005 10:15 PM US(ET), RobR took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

I had a 10k btu sleeve unit in a window for many years before I got central air. I built a 3/4" plywood platform that attached to the window sill in the window track with two long screws, and 2x2 wooden legs that rested against the vinyl siding with a 2x2 brace between the legs attached to the ends so that the 2x2 ends were not pressing against the siding. Allow a little slant to the platform for water runoff. From the side it had a triangle shape. I cut out two triangles out of 1/2" plywood that braced the legs to the platform. I then used two pieces of plywood to fill the gaps on either side of the unit in the window opening. Used the usual foam insulation to prevent air leaks. You may have to stick a piece oif foam under the unit to prevent air leakage there. I painted the whole platform white for weatherproofing and asthetics. After taking it out for the winter, the only visible evidence that it was there were the two screw holes in the window sill, but since they were in the window track, they were only visible when the window was open.

Reply to
willshak

I re-read it, my mistake. May as well toss it with out the wall sleeve. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

thanks for this response and all the others. i think with the price of air conditioners being what they are and the construction of this house where we are renting (windows are 100+ years old and the casings are house for that matter are falling apart) and the fact this window is 25' off the ground, we'll just buy a $100 5.6K BTU unit at home depot.

Reply to
RobR