Any good 'Part P' Electricians in NE London available now?

Hi, we need a good value honest bloke (or lady!) to come and update the cross-wiring in the kitchen, and fit a Fuse Spur to the Combi-Boiler in the same kitchen. It's for my Tenant who lives in a flat in London E8 and this is needed urgently so we can get a new boiler installed.

Any recommendations greatly appreciated.

Reply to
Chris Tomlinson

Cross-wiring? If you mean supplementary bonding (sometimes called cross bonding) then that's not required in kitchens, only bath and shower rooms.

A Corgi registered heating installer will usually be qualified to do this themselves, under a limited-scope Part P scheme, which enables them (or someone in their firm) to do all the electrical work associated with installing the boiler.

Reply to
Andy Wade

Sorry yes 'cross-bonding'. Apparently this *is* required because I have the boiler in the kitchen, which needs cross-bonding. Perhaps someone will be able to confirm this is correct here, even though it is in the kitchen?

Thanks, but British Gas are not authorised for such work. And before you say anything, they have quoted me £525 all inc. to replace the combi boiler if I supply it (which I bought new privately for £360). Other quotes from people recommended here were coming in at £1,800+.

Reply to
Chris Tomlinson

Fairly sure that's not the case but I'm sure someone else will confirm. The usual difficulty is persuading these characters that they are in the wrong - they don't like being told they are wrong by a punter waving a bit of internet printout!

My tame sparks failed my first house-rewire on the basis of little more than my not having fitted supplementary bonding in the kitchen; I did query it with him but he was adamant it needed doing. I didn't feel it was worth digging in my heels over a couple of feet of earth cable and clamps, so acquiesced and just fit the bonding routinely now (the sparks concerned is great in every other way, so I put up with it!)

David

Reply to
Lobster

Without question, this is correct, supplentary bonding is required only for rooms containing a bath or a shower. Not on the boiler, or the kitchen sink.

Regards

Steve Dawson

Reply to
Stephen Dawson

This is obviously an 'organisation' thing. We had a kitchen fitted last year, and the fitter was adamant it had to be done. So much so, that he did it anyway even though we refused to pay for it. And waving the OSG didn't help: 'not the current edition' 'yes, it is, it's the one shown on the IEE website today'. Apart from that, he was very good. Came in on Easter Sunday to finish off the silicone around the edge.

Reply to
Joe

I suppose it's possible that they might have been talking about the need to add missing *main* bonding to the water main, which is quite likely to rise in the kitchen, of course.

Reply to
Andy Wade