Any experience of weed burners?

Any burning anything poisonous; I don't think the UK gets poison ivy, does it - but other plants might be similarly hazardous, in that burning them releases toxins which can cause quite nasty respiratory problems if inhaled... not fun :-(

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

It should work with CH fuel at around 40p/litre.

I used to use one in the good old days for keeping paths clear. Better than sodium chlorate IMO and has the advantage that it reduces the weeds to ash on gravel paths.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Because pillocks like you always jump like the good little doggies you are.

Reply to
Steve Firth

LOL. You're emulating the very people you think are idiots.

Reply to
brass monkey

No, he IS the people he thinks are idiots. Firthing at the mouth idiots.

He's had a bad day in traffic probably.

Stuff him in your killfile.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

ISTR much use of the *pricker* to remove carbon deposits left in the nozzle during the warm up process.

Somewhere in my *possibles* pile is a *flame wand* a mini version intended for minor weeding jobs.

An arson attack took out the residual TVO left over from dual fuel tractor days and the flame guns went out of use.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

We don't get poison ivy, but there's a plant that grows in rocky ground/stone walls/my driveway with yellow flowers and flat thin leaves that produces something nasty to breathe if it's strimmed.

Reply to
Jón Fairbairn

Oh yes.

I went into a hardware shop recently to ask for a stove pricker. They looked at me as if I were mad. I managed to make my own by unwinding a steel bicycle brake cable and making handles from steel cut from a baked bean tin.

We have a gas version, useless. There was also a paraffin version that we used to have like a steel scaffold pole with a pump at one end and a burner at the other.

Shame about the arson. Some mindless scrote, I assume? I was saddened to see that the amphibious aircraft used in "The Wicker Man" ended up burnt to cinders in an arson attack.

Reply to
Steve Firth

White bryony, perhaps?

Huge

In message , Steve Firth writes

snip..

Some props for the Top Gear TV programme were destroyed at a neighbouring farm as part of the same series of attacks.

The person of interest to the police already had an ASBO and a very problematic childhood. Now over 18 and said to be reformed!

A psychiatric view would be interesting but *substance abuse* seemed to be involved.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

for the link, from it I deduce that it isn't seem to be something that's poisonous to horses. Maybe just poisonous to me!

Reply to
Jón Fairbairn

If you do find a photo ID of it, would you please post a link?

Reply to
S Viemeister

-

> Worth the hassle/money?

LIDL by any chance ?

Mine is useless, tiny single stem weeds on my block drive can take 45 secs to one minute to burn the leaves off, and still they come back.

In fact if you have a butane lamp and a gash brush handle you have the makings of a cheap experimental setup.

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

But you don't need to "burn the leaves off". The blast of heat damages the cell structure and the leaves will wither in a couple of days. You do need to repeat the scorching when growth returns to actually kill persistent weeds.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yuck. I don't think poison ivy's a problem if cut up, thankfully, only if burnt or the oils come into contact with skin. Our woods are full of it - thankfully I'm mostly immune!

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

respiratory

Which bits of you aren't immune ???????????????????

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Between my fingers, oddly enough. Despite being up to my elbows in the stuff, and walking through it in shorts etc, I've only ever shown signs of its effects between my fingers, and even then it doesn't always happen when I've been near the stuff.

It does seem to affect some people more than others, plus I've heard that susceptibility can come and go - so maybe one day I'll have to be a bit more careful.

Reply to
Jules Richardson

:D Judging by his latest 'performance' - Soldering directly to button battery - of 28th Aug. That's prolly the best thing to do with him. His posts suggest that he's running on fumes in the tooth department (or should be).

Reply to
brass monkey

In message , brass monkey writes

On balance, Firth is useful. There are several other posters a touch short of personal charm but rising to bait is for the fishes. Call it

*the human mixture*.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

If only people would look at the links given, they would have an idea what they were talking about.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q