Another thought on fuel efficiency...

The problem with running into the back of a HGV is that the bonnet of your car is likely to go under the back of the truck and the bed of the truck decapitates you. Those under-run bars on the back or side of the HGV could be as useful as a chocolate teapot when closing at 60mph

Reply to
alan_m

On 19/09/2023 10:10, The Natural Philosopher wrote: <snipo>

Agreed

It is if you have air con that is continuously drying the air at a greater rate you breath adding water vapour. As happens for most air-cons in cars.

Feel free to quote experiments that back up your claim.

Reply to
Fredxx

That has been my experience.

Recycle for fastest temeperature change but use incoming air for best RH levels.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I think I would throw myself sideways

I have a LOT of car in front of me too.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It is what I found years ago. Just by playing with the controls

You need to get the warm sticky air out, not recycle it.

What's inside has more water in it, cos its warmer, than what it is outside, and if it is misting, by definition it is saturated at the temperature of the windscreen. It ain't misting on the outside, ergo THAT air is much lower in water content.

So get it in and get the cabin air OUT

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Another thought.

Whilst the FRONT of the truck might stop instantaneously, the rear of it would most certainly not, otherwise the bridge would collapse. The force applied to stop a whole truck dead is enough to destroy a bridge support

In relity it would jacknife or concertina or both

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

A follow-up to my post about my car's rotary hot/cold knob and what happens when fully cool is selected.....

The knob turned fully to the hot direction hot has an additional final non-latching switch which, irrespective of the other settings, automatically selects (hot) air to the windscreen, air con on and turns off re-circulation. The indication lights on the switches identify this mode. So, on a Ford their design automatically de-selects re-circulation for windscreen demisting. This hot dried air can also be directed towards the front side windows.

Reply to
alan_m

Here we go with the old gag about what goes through a fly's mind when it hits a car windscreen head on? For those too young to know - it's arse

Reply to
John J

I sometimes follow one, safe in the knowledge that my brakes are *much* better than his - I only need to allow for my reaction time.

Which is OK until another catches up with us. Where I really don't want to be is *between* two HGVs.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris