Another £20 bet won from an apprentice

Ah, just like the ones I saw last night saying that the M6 Northbound from the A591 was closed 6th to 9th of May. Can't say I noticed.

Or last week when the informational boards south of Preston had "M6 CLOSED", except it wasn't, yes they reduced it down to a single lane on the hard shoulder with lots of coneage with lights on and temporary area lighting and lead you off at a junction. But that was it, no DIVERTED TRAFFIC signs or FOLLOW O for M6 N. Well there wouldn't be the motorway wasn't actually closed! It took two slo mo watches of the dashcam to spot that one could have stayed on the motorway by driving into darkness over the white hatching of the hard shoulder. There was a round blue "traffic split" sign but it was non-reflective and not illuminated. There was no other signage to indicate the split and of course you'd been told the M6 was closed...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I would say that my driving is now less safe than it used to be,. because of the time spent looking for repeater boards and at the speedo, rather than at the road and other road users.

Especially since the most profitable place top put a speed camera is where its least needed.

I.e. where the road is open, clear of obstructions and pedestrians, and well lit.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There isn't one. There isn't even another that's anywhere near as good.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

That's to be expected at times, even if the system works. But the M25 routinely has an assortment of reduced limit zones for no visible reason. Some stay in place over a month! Most of the time it seems worse than useless.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I would have thought, and route via Winchester ought to count as a hard drive ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

+1
Reply to
Vir Campestris

I find myself using cruise control in situations I never would have considered in years gone by. Means I can actually watch the traffic, the signs, all the other things than the speedo that contribute to what is, I hope, both a safer and a more pleasant drive.

Reply to
polygonum

Not being able to take in the sign and other stuff is a sign that you are driving too fast for your ability. Either learn to do it better or slow down. Why do you think old people drive slower?

Reply to
dennis

Rubbish. It is a proliforation of short zones of dfferent speeds where once there would have been few changes and a constant fear that a simple mistake will be caught on camera and you'll be punished for it.

Reply to
Steve Walker

If this is happening then it's unwelcome news. Traditionally in this country signage has been aimed at assisting drivers in getting safely from A to B. This looks more like the American model, where signage is an unofficial taxation system designed to turn you into an administrative criminal as you move from A to B.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Bollocks. Its a sign that its hidden mostly, behind hedges, parked vehicles and WHY.

The whole point of speed legislation is now not about safety, its about public perception, and about making money by tricking you into thinking you are in one speed limit when you are in another.

That's the legacy of Blair: No one makes money out of doing something productive or useful anymore. They doi it by ripping off someone else,. The whole EU runs on that principle.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Signage that is obscured by over grown hedges is a hook to hang getting a ticket dismissed on. Particulary if the road appears to have a higher default limit and the camera is "close" to the obscured signage.

First ticket I got after 30 odd years of driving was for doing 40 something in a 30 limit. Road was dual carriage way, camera a few hundred yards after the 30 boards (streetmap...). There was traffic, I'd never driven that stretch of road before (or since), I'm pretty sure the signage was obscured and the 30 may well have been from the NSL (70). If the place wasn't 100 miles away I'd have been out with a camera of my own and contested the ticket.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I wonder if any of that was 'I live close so' a) 'it won't take long to get to work' (but then don't allow enough) and / or b) 'I don't have to allow any extra time' (but really should), or c) it was just coincidence?

The other thing is those using public transport where the interval of said transport (bus, train, plane even) is such that to be at work for say 9am means getting in at 8.15 or 9:15?

When I was working in the city the 08:30 train would *normally* get me into Liverpool St for about 9 and a 10 min walk would get me to the Training Centre with 20 minutes to spare (for a 09:30 start).

But even a single cancelled train would make me late and I was stuck on the train for over an hour when it broke down a couple of times (over a 7 year period).

Now delegates coming in from Cambridge or Bristol would obviously have a longer journey time but these inter-city trains generally seemed more reliable, often ran as frequently as the local 'shuttles' I used, and the delegate was only doing so for a week at a time and it wasn't so 'obvious' if one delegate was late (versus the instructor). ;-(

I think my final conclusion that short of sleeping there I could never

*guarantee* I would be there on time *every* time so it was a matter of running the odds and doing what most considered was 'reasonable'?

When I was working in IT Support we had one tech that whilst supposed to start at 9am, would always arrive at 9:30. I modified a big wall clock with another 9 where the 10 should be to accommodate him . The thing with him though was he would always have his hour for lunch and be out of the door dead on 5:30. Apparently it was just 'how he was' and I guess if he turned up reliably and otherwise did what was asked of him then they must have thought it acceptable.

The rest of us didn't really care because whilst we all generally got there at the allotted time, our boss was pretty flexible and as long as we got all the work done on a customer site, we wouldn't be expected to go back to the office if we were back in the area a bit before knocking off time (or if we hadn't stopped for lunch etc).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

OOI, when it impacts someone directly like that, was it ever highlighted to 'da management' and if so what did they say?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Another influence is modern cars. Mine will do happily do 30+ at tickover in 5th (out of 6) on the flat and the anti-stall will actually accelerate it very gently to keep revs around 750. Give it even a slight bit of down hill and it'll be off. Then you wonder why you're having to brake so hard... Pressing the go pedal at 30 in 5th doesn't have much effect, to actually drive at 30 you need to be in

3rd and even then on a moderate hill it'll still run away.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In message , Dave Liquorice writes

Now there is a money making website opportunity:-)

Help evade my speeding ticket .com Modest payment offered for current photo of obscured speed limit signage......

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Another use for a dash cam.

Reply to
DJC

Corrected your post for you there, NP! (twice)

As I have said here before: she took our (i.e. humanity's) worst weaknesses - greed, selfishness, etc - and declared them to be virtues.

What Tony Blair did was just as unforgivable: instead of reversing the trends Thatcherism started, he endorsed and thus accelerated them.

J.

Reply to
Another John

What have short zones go to do with it? Don't you see the signs at the end of long zones either, there isn't any difference.

Reply to
dennis

If they are hidden behind tree, etc., get the local authority to maintain them. If they are obscured by parked vehicles then so are children and animals so if you miss them its your fault!

That's bollocks, the local authority sets the speed limits but doesn't get a penny from its enforcement.

They do get revenue from parking control so watch where you park.

Idiot it has nothing to do with Europe but then neither do the problems you kippers keep shouting about.

Reply to
dennis