And they're *still* using lead !?!?!?!

There's no shortage of lead on roofs in most places I've lived. It's the most suitable material for the job.

Why don't companies make lead sheet that contains something to make it harder to recycle?

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

The general aim is to make things easier to recycle.

And as we aren't building many new churches etc, replacing nicked lead on the insurance is probably the main source of work.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Donno, didn't see it. In what way had the lead failed? What "code" was it? Code 4 is a bit thin at 1.8 mm, code 5 at 2.24 mm is much better.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

When the lead flashing was stolen from the local Scout hut I was charged with finding a roofer that would replace it with non lead flashing.

We had to do the usual three quotes.

Only one of the three actually quoted for lead free and he got the job.

Me "You have got the job"

Him "Do you mind me asking why you chose me?"

Me "You were the only one that priced for the job what we wanted"

Reply to
ARW

So much cable theft could be solved by using CCA, CCS, tinned copper etc. Gotta wonder why infrastructure keeps using unnecessarily expensive & highly thievable pure copper on lines that don't move. It's the customer that chooses what to buy.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Because those alternatives have properties that make them less suitable?

Anyway, thieves would still nick it. They nick fibre optic cables. Or at least cut them and then find out they're fibre, which still disrupts the service carried on the cables.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Get your own dwelling roof re-done and probably lead will be used for the gulleys and flashing.

Reply to
alan_m

Haven't many of these solutions found to be unreliable short to medium term?

IMO, the problem with wire theft is that it will be widely reported that, say, £100k worth of wire has been stolen. In reality the value of the wire is worth very little and the most of the £100k is the cost to repair the damage and to labour to refit the cable. The next potential thief believes that he would actually be stealing copper wire worth £100k in scrap.

In the case of fitting unsuitable substitute materials the material cost is often a small proportion of the overall cost and so why not fit something that can last longer and be more reliable?

Reply to
alan_m

There are different thicknesses of lead flashing so perhaps yours was originally done down to a cost when originally fitted. Perhaps your original flashing wasn't lead but one of the substitutes.

Reply to
alan_m

But that will will not stop the potential thief going on the roof and damaging it by ripping out the flashing before finding that it isn't lead.

Reply to
alan_m

I've always believed sheet lead could only be used in relatively short lengths 2m? to avoid thermal movement cracks.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Another failure mechanism is being nibbled by squirrels, especially on corners. John

Reply to
jrwalliker

There is a sign up saying that it is not lead. But I suspect that they will, if they tried, at least work it out that it is not lead before ripping off the lot. I hope (these people do know what they are stealing)

Reply to
ARW

I still like the OPs suggestion of castration with a rusty soup spoon.

Reply to
ARW

Now that is interesting. I was at a block of flats the other day and one of the lifts was marked as used for firemen.

Reply to
ARW

Not done correctly in the first place? Or someone out to make a fast buck

- churches ain't exempt from that.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

was it the lead that failed or the pointing?

if it was the lead then had it been dressed properly? eg can crack if just folded)

1.5m for flashing
Reply to
Robin

or excessive movement between the two parts of the roofing structure

Reply to
charles

How else are they going to rescue people from floor 22 of Grenfell?

(I suppose the special "fireman's lifts" have emergency power supplies of some sort.)

Reply to
Max Demian