An exercise for you, cat flaps

Our old cat managed ok with a tunnel fractionally bigger than a hole in a door would be. Was about 11" long.

Reply to
Jim K...

Google for the installation instructions for a few makes and study what they say?

Reply to
Jim K...

I just tried to find out the size of tunnel needed through brick walls,(and maybe DIY ideas)(Without buying commercial flap and tunnel), not how to (I already know how to cut holes). Exceeding difficult, all hits are how to, using commercial kits ,not measurements

Reply to
FMurtz

I'd say it depends on the thickness of the brick wall, perhaps that's why they didn't put cat flaps in castle walls.

Reply to
whisky-dave

And the fatness of the cat.

Reply to
Andy Burns

We have a Sureflap microchip activated cat flap and they recommend an opening of 170mm X 170mm with a slight slope to the outside.

We have two cats one quite petite and the other a real bruiser. They both negotiate our door mounted flap easily but watching them coming and going I think they would find using a tunnel a lot more awkward.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

I've seen a lot of very fine doors mutliated by catflaps, so tunnels through the walls gets my vote.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

gf was most surprised when her cat brought a pigeon in yesterday (his first ever present) as she thought that a pigeon would not fit though a cat flap until I explained that a pigeon is about the size of a rat but just has a lot of feathers.

Reply to
ARW

;-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

But no point in having it match the cat given that they don?t last forever. Makes more sense to make the hole big enough for all cats.

Reply to
jeikppkywk

403 Forbidden: The server understood the request, but is refusing to fulfill it.

You wont be laughing when the large footed fellas show up, boy.

Reply to
jeikppkywk

tunnel needs to be bigger than flap, the cat needs to be able to walk comfortably in the tunnel.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Cats tend to be suspicious of small dark tunnels. They need to be quite large and have a transparent flap, so the cat can see straight through.

Reply to
nightjar

One other thing to consider is that Cats may not trust deep holes. Also of course how do you add sufficient insulation to stop heat loss and draughts? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I agree about size. Helps if cat can turn around on discovering it's raining. But we've had 2 that were happy using a 9 inch long tunnel (solid brick wall) with opaque flaps at each end.

Well, happy after after an initial training period with a servant at each side of the wall to open flaps and wave bacon rind.

Reply to
Robin

Yes. A cat steps through a cat flap so it only needs to be big enough to comfortably allow the body to get through.

Anything longer would need to be high enough for the cat to stand upright, even if it had a conventional cat flap at each end.

Reply to
Terry Casey

works for me OK.

there is a problem that if it;s too large it;s easier to break in or push a small kid through who can be trained to unlock a door from an ealry age by thieving scummy parents.

Reply to
whisky-dave

some people don't like holes either. Apple's iPhone 11 Pro 'triggering' fear of holes

I had to check the date as I'm pretty sure we are in september rather than the start of April

Reply to
whisky-dave

And some quite comical video clips elsewhere on that site.

Reply to
Andrew

Reply to
Andrew