Splitting bricks

Any hints, tips or otherwise about splitting bricks *lengthwise"? To make in effect a thinner brick?

I've had mixed results cutting bricks across their width, and for that I had a bolster chisel slighter wider than the bricks. Do I have any chance at all of success in the other direction?

I know that brick slips are available but I only need a few and there would be some satisfaction in, er, doing it myself.

Thanks.

Reply to
Bert Coules

angle grinder works well.

Score all rind and split the ast bit with a bolster

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'm ashamed to admit it on this group and in this company but I honestly hadn't thought of using an angle grinder!

Reply to
Bert Coules

Angle grinder, even if you only cut way through and then use a bolster

Reply to
alan_m

Or a tile cutter like a circular saw on a bench, with a diamond blade. Cut top and bottom using plenty of water.

Reply to
Andrew

Have you learnt nothing in all your years here? :-)

Yup, a 9" grinder especially, with a diamond blade will make easy work cutting them on pretty much any axis. A 4" will certainly give a deep enough score all round to make the final cleave with a bolster easy.

Reply to
John Rumm

Is that trying to cut with a single whack on bolster from lump hammer or gentler hits to cut a grove in the brick first?

It probably depends on the type of brick and how thin you want the slip. Traditional bricks with/without a frog I'd expect to be easier than those funny modern things with holes through 'em. I'd expect to experiment a bit in how deep the hand cut groove needs to be and if it needs to go right around the brick.

Or you could cheat and use an angle grinder. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Thanks to all for the new replies. I'll give it a go.

Reply to
Bert Coules

No is my thought. They only do this when you don't want them to, and when they do its seldom straight and usually leaves a corner intact. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Erm, normally if you do this one half is the one useable and oh the dust... Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

This sounds like the kind of thankless task given as a punishment to people in prison! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Andy Burns

I can't pretend that this was an unqualified success but I did manage to split a few bricks fairly neatly, albeit with a pretty large amount of dust and dirt and noise, not to mention wastage of the ones that failed. After a short while I gave up and - taking advantage of the fact that the bricks will be painted once they're laid - fashioned the final couple from aerated blocks, which can happily be sawn into shape.

Many thanks to all for the tips and suggestions.

Reply to
Bert Coules

If I had thought I have a quanity of what appear to be 1/4 height bricks

- are they called slippers? No SLIPS..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher