Am I being an idiot? Bosch GOP-250 velcro sanding sheets.

Picked up a Bosch GOP-250 multi-tool last year, and it's been amazing (how did I ever survive without this?) However today I have been using the sand ing pad with velcro attached sanding sheets today, and I must be doing some thing wrong, or there is a product fault.

I am changing sanding sheets every 3 minutes, as the velcro is separating f rom the sandpaper, I then spend another 3 minutes pulling the detached "fl uff" from the sanding pad.

What on earth am I doing wrong? I am only sanding skirting!!

Thanks.

Reply to
MarkG123

I have read recently that this sander can generate a lot of heat if used at full speed. Maybe the abrasive is getting too hot. I would think the sanding sheets must be at fault. Are they genuine Bosch ones? It is not uncommon after heavy use (years) for the hooks to fail on a sander pad but I've never had the loops detach from the abrasive before.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Is the genuine Bosch pads that come in the box. That's what's weird about it all.

I might contact Bosch and have a whinge and see what they say.

Reply to
MarkG123

I've had that happen with cheap pads, but since yours are Bosch, I wonder if they age and the glue deteriorates and if so, how fast?

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

Are the pads getting hot in use?

If so turn the speed down a bit

Whinge anyway!

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Whilst the Bosch multi tool is a fantastic detail sander, the Velcro pads are s**te. If you find a sanding sheet that sticks, the pad will wear away in a matter of hours.

A detail sander works at about 12,000pm whereas the Bosch is about 21,000pm.

The reason it sands so well is the speed. The reason detail sanders 'don't' go that fast is because the Velcro can't handle it.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I Have a Bosch GOP 250 too.

I've noticed this issue with the sanding paper.

The sandpaper comes away from the sanding pad after a short while. I notice that if the sanding paper is a fine grit like 220 or 120 it produces a very fine dust which then gets betweeen the paper and sanding pad causing the velcro to fail.

I've foudn two viable solutions:

(a) use a higher grit paper like a 40 or 80 grit

(b) use a proper mouse/delta detail sander.

Reply to
Stephen

how did I ever survive without this?) However today I have been using the sanding pad with velcro attached sanding sheets today, and I must be doing something wrong, or there is a product fault.

ng from the sandpaper, I then spend another 3 minutes pulling the detached "fluff" from the sanding pad.

OK, have an update, I notice some of the hooks looked liked they had melted on the pad, so I picked up a new one for a tenner from screwfix, fitted it and then the detaching sheet problem went away...... for about an hour. Now the next sanding pad's hooks have gone to pot too and the problem is st arting to come back, not as bad as originally, but getting there.

Reply to
MarkG123

ed on the pad, so I picked up a new one for a tenner from screwfix, fitted it and then the detaching sheet problem went away...... for about an hour. Now the next sanding pad's hooks have gone to pot too and the problem is starting to come back, not as bad as originally, but getting there.

I have the same problem with an orbital sander. It worked great for a while , then the pads kept falling off. I bought a new pad and that worked for a while. If I kept the disk flat it worked for longer. Now I use a flap wheel on an angle grinder, and that works for ever.

Reply to
Matty F

To address a similar problem with a Fein Multimaster many years ago I bought a new backing plate and reduced the speed of oscillation significantly.

The only time a faster speed is used is with saw blades

Reply to
The Other Mike

I did mention the overheating problem and this is borne out by your experience with deformed hooks. Slow down and don't press so hard.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

replying to MarkG123, LaMon wrote: I had a bit of a problem at B&Q today, I was accused of breaking/ misusing the sanding part. When I started to record, little man called security to chuck me out of the shop. Shocking! Here;s some of the video

LaMon

The man had every right to refuse to be recorded and there is no evidence that permission was asked. Just hope he doesn't take action over your youtube posting if he sees it.

You melted the teeth on the pad by applying too much pressure and/or running it too fast. The teeth are plastic and melt when they get too hot, which they do with excessive friction. Using a dust extractor helps as the air cools the pad.

Its exactly the same with all the velcro pads even on the bigger machines. They will wear out over time anyway and the pads are consumable items just like the sand paper.

Reply to
dennis