Alternatives to CH ?

"A small gas boiler starts about 20kW"

Really ?. My Baxi Bermuda back boiler installed when the house was built was (I think) 15 Kw (45,000 Btu?). Getting that heat exchanger out, into my car and into the recycling skip in 2003 was on the limit of my strength.

Reply to
Andrew

you mean they might destroy a few more bats and birds with an extra windfarm?

Gotta go nuclear. energy so cheap you might as well just use it...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Once this ridiculous carrie symonds is out of Nio 10 and we get some conservatives back in that is the calculation everyone will do.

The direction of nuclear electricity is down, the direction of renewables is up and up and the direction of fossils is through the roof.

Short answer will be once nuclear electricity is cheaper than gas (which at today's prices of the old paid for nukes and current gas spot, it actually is) then people will simply put on direct electrical heating like they do in e.g. Sweden, and France (both heavily nuclear grids).

And electrical heating is a lot easier to control in terms of room by room zones. A room stat is all it takes.

I don't think ASHP will be used except in new builds and then its fairly marginal cost wise.

The main problem being as people will have noticed today, is that when you really need CH is when its down sub 5°C, and that's when ASHPs are starting to show crap efficiencies.

Like all 'eco' technology, it works worst when you need it most.

There is 10,000 years worth of nuclear fuel out there for the whole world. That may be long enough to get a fusion reactor running.

We don't need to work to save it especially hard or especially quickly. In time fast breeders and thorium will do better as will high temperate gas cooled reactors.

So the sane conservative approach is to legislate nothing, and let high fossil fuel prices drive the changes via market forces, and all they have to do is kick start nuclear power and remove all the anti nuclear legislation

human nature will sort the rest out.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well yes, but it?s a long time since cast iron was used for domestic boiler heat exchangers.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

For a combi, that is probably a bit small - most will start at 24kW.

45 kBTU/hour is about 13kW. That is also likely the heat input on a boiler than might only be 65% efficient - so the thermal output will be quite bit lower.

Yup, I remember getting the 24kW ideal Mexico cast iron lump into the car and down to the scrappie! They left me to unload it by myself. At least I only needed to unload onto the ground.

Fortunately I had placed it on top of a long rad I was scrapping at the same time - so that gave me quite a bit of mechanical advantage to lift one end of that and pull it nearly all the way out. Then I could dump that end on the ground, slide the boiler down the rad, and shift the other end now it was lighter.

Reply to
John Rumm

Don't think so, I think it was formally abandoned.

They will still blame the lack of investment in renewables.

Reply to
newshound

That was in the good old days of cast iron. My complete 35kW Vaillant is quite an easy lift.

Reply to
newshound

My Bulldog TRVs are about 16 years old, all renewed when I had a new boiler. A couple of them have been fitted with an electronic control. I don't think anything which combines valve and detector adjacent to the radiator itself is particularly effective.

One stopped turning off. Having put back the original thermostatic head, it still seems to be stuck open, though the spindle appears to move freely.

Before the TRVs were replaced, I had regular issues with them sticking closed, but this is a new one on me.

I wondered if a some contamination was blocking the valve movement, and left it fully open for a while in the hope that it might flush through, but no luck.

This happened during lockdown, so I didn't want to risk diving in and rendering the whole heating system unusable. I was surprised how well the living room temperature was regulated simply relying on the main stat in the hall, so I left it alone.

My partner, mostly working from home, needed to be able to control an awkward TRV, so I moved the displaced unit to the study, where it has worked for about 18 months, and now once again I seem to have a valve stuck open.

Theoretically I could pay an inappropriate amount of money to have remote sensing and control on most of the radiators, all able to generate a call for heat.

Overall, especially if the weak point is the actual valve itself, I think I will be financially better off leaving it alone.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

I think there's something you want on this site

KIN GU

Chinese letters? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff