Alternatives to asbestos flame-proof sheet

I need to create a flame barrier which must be thin (5mm approx) and fairly strong. Asbestos sheet would have been ideal if only it was still available.

What I need it for is to block a chimney off with it, diverting the heat and fumes off to another flue. It'll be located fairly close above - but not actually touching - the flames coming from a 'living flame' gas fire immediately underneath.

Anyone know of a good substitute for asbestos sheet and where to obtain it?

Thank you, MJ

Reply to
M. Jakeman

PS By "sheet", I meant stiff board rather than felexible fabric...

Reply to
M. Jakeman

We got some stuff that is very similar from our local DIY shop. I think it's actually concrete.

Cheers Tim

Reply to
Tim Sampson

Multiboard

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thanks to everyone for the help. Anyone know where I can optain any of the suggested materials? B&Q doesn't seem to stock it.

Jake

Reply to
M. Jakeman

Try "Sheffield Insulation"

??? We get quite a bit of our refractory sheet from them,

Steve

Reply to
Steve