drills / screwdrivers

Hi all, I'm about to move house and will be doing quite a bit of screwing (yes yes, very funny) to remove built in wardrobes, replace kitchen cupboard doors etc etc. I always hate using screwdrivers, and becuase I will be needing to buy a drill anyway, I was wondering if anyone could recommend a drill that would also do the job os a screwdriver ?? I dont need anything too flash (£30 B&Q job would do), but what features of a drill should I be looking out for in order for it to double up as a screwdriver ??

Thanks in advance...

Reply to
Ginger_neil

I use a 12 Volt Bosch I got many years ago, and just recently got new batteries for, as an exclusive screwdriver, and yes it does have the features I recommend.

Reply to
BigWallop

Ability to get close in to corners. Cupboards and wardrobes often have a screw right in the top-left or bottom-left corner which can be awkward if you're right-handed. An electric screwdriver (rather than a drill) can get in there sometimes, but a 1/4" ratchet handle plus a screwdriver bit can often reach where no power tool will.

Reply to
Laurie R

Plus 2 batteries if you're going to do any serious amount of screwing at one go. Theres nothing worse than having to stop for an hour or more while the darn thing recharges. I laid a deck non-stop using 380 screws with my new Axminster 14.4v which comes with 2 NiMh batts.

Reply to
BillR

24V Bosch one I have is brilliant. ;-)

Mark S.

Reply to
Mark

Yes it would. I would also suggest you should have a reversible drill. You may want to get the screws out.

Rob Graham

Reply to
robgraham

In article , spog writes

Maybe you shouldn't be using philips bits for Pozi screws ;-)

Diamond bits -

eg code 13316 - 25MMX1/4 POZI 2 DIAMOND BIT £1.75 + vat

Reply to
fred

I have used several over the years and a couple of weeks ago saw and bought one of those ultra cheap Maplin £14 odd cordless drills (Nutool) with a spare battery for about £7... I have to say for the quite heavy work I have been doing recently it has been very good - not the best I have had but good power control adequate torque, variable torque control, reversible and 3-5 hour charger. Compared to the £30 Aldi or Lidl it has better torque and better speed control. I would buy again for my type of use...

As regards screwdriver bits, I was given some of those Screwfix Diamond Bits as a present and although they were about £20 for seven with a holder, they are much better than the run of the mill bits I used to use - so would use them again too

Hope that helps...

Nick

Reply to
froggers

Very good point - you need the right bit for the screw.

Try Axminster - you can either buy a lot of cheap ones and chuck them (no pun intended) after a box of screws or buy a few decent ones for the same price.

Sean

Reply to
Sean Delere

I have used a few of the Screwfix Gold and Diamond bits - for whatever reason, the slightly less expensive Gold bits seem best - just my opinion.

Paul

Reply to
Paul J S Green