Alternative URL shortener

I usually use TinyURL, but IME it can't handle links to PDF's. Can anyone recommend an alternative that does?
--

Chris

On 12/08/2019 07:36, Chris Hogg wrote:

TinyURL seems to handle pdfs... This one goes straight to the pdf: https://tinyurl.com/A-linked-PDF-zzz
This to the link for downloading: https://preview.tinyurl.com/A-linked-PDF-zzz
On Mon, 12 Aug 2019 11:00:46 +0100, Richard

Hmm...curious. Here's a web site URL that I want to make tiny: https://www.ashdownforest.org/home/docs/STRATEGICPLAN1718.pdf
If I copy that URL and go into the TinyURL web site, paste into the box, make TinyURL, copy it to clipboard, gives me https://tinyurl.com/y379yq38 which I've just discovered works fine.
However, if I click on that Ashdown Forest URL, up comes a blank FF page and the PDF loads as it should, but if I then click on the Firefox extension symbol for TinyURL, it comes up with this URL that _doesn't_ work. https://tinyurl.com/18r (not sure if I'm using the correct terms there, but I hope YSWIM).
I suppose the moral of this tale is not to use the TinyURL extension for PDF's, although it does seem to work for URL's to ordinary web sites.
Thanks for your input.
--

Chris

Chris Hogg wrote:

That's too short to be a valid tingyURL, maybe the FF extension is b0rked?
On 12/08/2019 12:59, Andy Burns wrote:

Seems to be the case.

Quite. But it works for normal url's, just not PDF's. For example, this URL https://wattsupwiththat.com/ happily gets shortened to this using the FF extension https://tinyurl.com/hljtzrw which works perfectly OK.
I'll se if I can work out how to delete and reload the FF extension, to see if it makes a difference.
--

Chris

On Tue, 13 Aug 2019 10:15:39 +0100, Mike Clarke wrote:

Handy! Regards,
--
/\/\aurice

I haven't observed TinyURL not working for PDFs,
I had TinyURL as a Firefox addon. [It was right-click on the web page, then select 'Make TinyURL' from the drop-down menu.] A few weeks ago it disappeared, and I can't re-install it. The one I'm using at the moment is another Firefox addon - '1-Click Shorten URL' - which sits as an icon on the toolbar.
There are several URL shorteners, but I think TinyURL is the only one that offers a preview. Because of this, some say they're unwilling to trust the link you offer them.
--
Ian

snipped-for-privacy@g3ohx.co.uk says...

And TinyURL is, as far as I know, the only one which allows you to customise the result.
This can be particularly useful for including links in text that will be printed, such as a magazine.
It is much easier for the reader to type in something like tinyurl.ukd-i-ylink than a random collection of characters.
--

Terry