Looking for an adaptor

To enable use of old handbrace drill bits with square taper ends in a standard hex cordless drill. Am not getting anywhere with search, don't know what terms to use really. Any ideas?
NT

I'd question whether it is worth it. Those bits are designed for cutting at very low speed and high load. Thanks to China a set of reasonable Augers or Forstner bits is very affordable.
My old b/D drill seems to be able to clamp any old shape in its chuck, whether by accident or design. Brian
--
----- --
I think you might be out of luck there with the extensive use of hand tight ening chucks on modern drills and the conversion of many of the bits formal ly used with a brace to fit three jaw chucks I cannot see anyone bothering to make a replacement chuck to fit drill bits that are now getting harder t o find. I must admit I find augers used in power drills very easy to overdr ill the depth owing to the screw guide feeding the drill in rather than the pressure applied by the user. If you have a number of brace bits that you want to use then cutting off the taper end off them might be your only solu tion.
On Sunday, 11 August 2019 22:40:12 UTC+1, Tricky Dicky wrote:

htening chucks on modern drills and the conversion of many of the bits form ally used with a brace to fit three jaw chucks I cannot see anyone botherin g to make a replacement chuck to fit drill bits that are now getting harder to find. I must admit I find augers used in power drills very easy to over drill the depth owing to the screw guide feeding the drill in rather than t he pressure applied by the user. If you have a number of brace bits that yo u want to use then cutting off the taper end off them might be your only so lution.

That's what I did before. Would be nicer to keep these as is. Maybe I could contemplate moulding something in plastic, probably be strong enough for small bits.
NT
On Sunday, 11 August 2019 23:18:45 UTC+1, tabby wrote:

ightening chucks on modern drills and the conversion of many of the bits fo rmally used with a brace to fit three jaw chucks I cannot see anyone bother ing to make a replacement chuck to fit drill bits that are now getting hard er to find. I must admit I find augers used in power drills very easy to ov erdrill the depth owing to the screw guide feeding the drill in rather than the pressure applied by the user. If you have a number of brace bits that you want to use then cutting off the taper end off them might be your only solution.

ng enough for small bits.

It's easy to find adapters the other way round, but not to enable an old bi t to be used in a modern hex drill.
NT

cut one of these up
(Amazon.com product link shortened)

If you have one of those it would be better to just use it as intended - those drills often aren't really usable at power drill speeds, even the lowest.
--

Roger Hayter

On Monday, 12 August 2019 10:05:55 UTC+1, Roger Hayter wrote:

I've had no problem using cut off ones in cordless drills.
NT
On 12/08/2019 10:05, Roger Hayter wrote:

Yes, cheap forstner bits from TNPs favourite shop would be much better or even a spade drill in a powered drill.
The spiral is too coarse for a fast speed.
On Monday, 12 August 2019 12:53:27 UTC+1, dennis@home wrote:

It's exactly the same as modern augers. It's not a problem.
NT
On Monday, 12 August 2019 09:53:46 UTC+1, dennis@home wrote:

they don't work. Ones that do, I'd not reasonably expect that type of chuck to be able to do the job.
NT

I was going to suggest a deep spline socket might do the job, until I remembered what shape the shaft was at the other end!
--

Jeff

Would it be possible to turn down the end part of the taper so a conventional chuck would grip while retaining enough taper for the hand brace? Probably not.
Cheers
--
Clive

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com used his keyboard to write :

If you must, just saw the square part off.