Alternative group on MeWe

Some of the uk.d-i-y refugees who went to Farcebuk have decided that Mr Zukerberg is not a nice man, and have started another exile group on another service.

It has the advantage of allowing images to be posted, etc.

PS: I can't help but think of it as WeeFree, although others have suggested SheWee

Reply to
Robert Harvey

I know the shed and the bikers decamped there, but I though the DIYers were made of sterner stuff ...

Texas Homecare for the banner, nice touch.

Reply to
Andy Burns

In message snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com, Robert Harvey snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

I remember. Some useful posters led by the Olive grower. I didn't like Facebook then and still don't.

I think the issue was troll activity in here and the benefit of managed membership.

Some of our more prolific OT posters might consider where they sit on the autistic spectrum.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Although you don't appear to be able to even preview the group prior to deciding if you want to join it...

Anyone on it worth reading that we know?

Reply to
John Rumm

I have an idea Steve Firth was involved in the move but it may be 10 years back.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Yes. John Rumm has just joined ! :-)

Reply to
Bob Eager

The 13th user it seems :-)

Am I missing a big archive of discussion somewhere or are there really only 8 posts in total?

Reply to
John Rumm

This is a new group. It's only been in existence for a matter of days.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Don't mention WeeFrees .

"Ahm too pished to hang this shelf straight"

"You can't do that on a Sunday it is work and Sunday is the lord's day"

or

etc etc .

Reply to
soup

Well whoever you go with, if its free then you won't get much, You will always be theproduct, if anything the afore mentioned tells it like it is. Nothing costs nothing. I do wonder how long before the last few free news servers get turned off. I have other reasons for liking this form as it means I do not have to learn different formats for the guy on every group I go to, they are all the same. I'm afraid unless you pay directly to belong to a service, when you should expect privacy, then you are going to be part of the data they sell to keep themselves going. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

MeWe has set out to be different by not selling users' data or advertising. Their business model is to generate income by charging a subscription for extra services - e.g. cloud storage and video calling. I'd like to see it succeed but doubt it will: most people have grown used to not paying money for such things.

Reply to
Robin

Yup, had not appreciated that... Not being a great fan of web based fora, the main attraction would have been either contact with some old names from the past, or an injection of new and interesting ones.

(that and I have no real problem with usenet, once armed with adequate filters!)

Reply to
John Rumm

Is it a moderated group? To keep out the OT stuff on here?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

"As a group owner/admin, you are given great moderation tools to keep any spammers or bad actors out of your group. This includes the ability to remove members from your group and block them. You can also assign group admins to help you moderate your group."

Who is the owner?

Reply to
Andy Burns

I'm on a couple of FB groups which do practice moderation. One is a closed group and it's very rarely used or indeed needed, since they make sure those admitted are committed to the subject.

The other one is open, and lots and lots ignore the clear rules until stopped. Which means a lot of work for the moderators.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

And who are the members?

Reply to