All I wanted was an overdraft...

No as I don't mind giving money to charity either. I really don't expect to win either, I donlt expect to win when I donate £10 a month to the RS PCA or oither charities I give to. I consider as soon as I place my bet that I have lost the money in the same way it goes out of my account for buying charities , food or beer the mone y goes end of storey. I only think I gamble if I spend my last pennies on a ticket while I haven' t enough to live for the rest of the week.

I also walk out of teh door and every step is a gamble I cross the road wil l I get knocked over, will I get cancer, lifes a gamble and a coup,e of qui d a week for me is NOT a gamble, becuse I wonlt notice the loss when I lose .

Reply to
whisky-dave

They do, yes. But the likes of Wonga have to include these fees in their APR calculation as well. Banks don't. If they did, they would make Wonga APR rates for small loans look low in comparison to their overdraft APRs.

Reply to
Fredxx

You are equating bookies to a charity? Sounds like denial to me. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

OK..

so compare an unauthorised £500 overdraft from Barclays to an unauthorised loan £500 from "wonga" and tell me what the APRs for each are.

Now do the same for an authorised overdraft and a loan from "wonga".

Can you see a difference?

Reply to
dennis

No, not really. If the banks did not wish to make ad hoc loans without formal authorisation available to their customers they wouldn't allow them. Simple enough.

Reply to
Roger Hayter
8< 655

So they should bounce all the payments and let the customer suffer more charges from them and from the entity they were paying, sounds a good idea.

Reply to
dennis

But most of the time you are not giving that much money to charities. They employ third parties to raise money and most is never seen by the charities. It is spent paying the chuggers, on endless snail mail begging letters, TV adverts requesting ONLY £3 for a cuddly toy or a letter written by a dog in an animal refuge, paying large salaries to the CEO if these third party companies etc.

If you gambled on the National Lottery more money would go to good causes than to the parasites associated with the charity money making machine.

Reply to
alan_m

I've only once ever used a bookies and it was when I was at school my nan a sked me what horse I'd like to bet 50p on (she'd pay, was that gambling). I bet on the grand national on a horse called sleeping partner (because she woke me up to ask) and I won a couple of quid I think I was about 8 or so. I've never betted on a horse since or been intoi a bookies.

I do have some £1 premium bonds is that gambling too. ?

If I walk home and there's a thunderstorm is that gambling with my life as more people die from lightning strikes than win the jackpot.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Depends on the charities I do mine via DD so no chugger involved.

But what he can't work out is whether or not it is gambling.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Thought you liked online gaming? Who do you think owns those sites?

A form of gambling - but at least you don't lose 2 quid to win 50p which you think is a win. ;-) But then any form of investing money is a gamble to some extent.

Yet you still hope to win the jackpot. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Liked No any more than I lioke paying for anything on-line, it's convient a nd I don;t have to check my tickets.

Irrelivant.

Yep and investing in the lottery rather than spending in the is more less l ikkely to harm my health too.

if I would have invested that £1 in 1968 in beer how many pints could I have brought how many can I buy today with £1. How about gold ? a £1 woirth of gold in 1968 is worth how much now. Do the same for oil, gas, diamonds, fine wine, shares, a single malt ?

I also hope not to be hit by lightening or get bombed on the tube, but for me a fiver a week is not a lot of money and worth the risk, I might not win the jackpot but on the 2nd ticket I ever brough just after the lottery cam e out I bet £2 one week £2 quid the next and got 4 numbers , they could give me my winning that day I had to return and I was handed £1

38 in CASH.

Tel, me how would yuo invest a few quid and be sure yuo'll, get the money b akc or more rather than less. ?

Reply to
whisky-dave