Aldi soupmaker

Hmm, and I might try a bit of apple in there.... So few recipes are really special in the sense that they're more than the sum of their parts

Reply to
stuart noble

On another group, someone in the USA mentioned they had bought a Vitamix soup machine. Wondering what they meant, I looked it up and found this:

hundred quid for a bleeding liquidiser! (Even with a 1200W element, it is at heart a liquidiser.) Maybe the Aldi one at least wastes less money before ending up at the car boot sale...

Reply to
polygonum

Stick blender washes itself in a pint glass with some water and a dab of WU liquid.

Reply to
fred

ooked/tinned items and liquids at the end it can make a fair bit more in on= e go.

dirty, set and forget. 3yr warranty. Does smooth, chunky, and mix of both.

n routine was just a salesman's dream. A lot of unusually loud and entirely= pointless beeping.

ocessing time. If some folk want to work for half an hour every time for ye= ars for =A340 I guess that's their choice.

ervings a go =3D =A31.70 less, so its paid its cost completely after 23 use= s, and there's the labour saved too.

Before getting the thing, soup making involved choppping stuff, half an hou= r at the stove, blending, and cleaning things up. I could use a food proces= sor, but the hand blender is less cleaning.

Now most ingredients are just chucked in as is, and the machine left to it.= Afterwards the cleanup's quicker because of the semieffective self clean.

Compared to tinned, the saving is in cost, not to mention quality.

Compared to making it in a pan, the saving is time. That 30 minutes cook & = blend time I can do something else. How many half hours is =A340 worth?

Its minestrone tomorrow.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

washes the pint glass as well...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

fazakerley!

Reply to
fred

True, dat. I recently bought a replacement slow-cooker, of 6.5L capacity, so blending to mush will become a total pita, I can see. The old s.c. was a mere 3L and much more managable. [1]

Excellent suggestion.

[1] In fact, the cooker itself is fine, just the crockpot has become wildly cracked and in serious danger of falling apart.
Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

That was the fate of my original slow-cooker until I rediscovered it last year and put it to hard use for several months. I'm now a total convert to them (always was, but allowed it to lapse).

I also discovered that slow-cookers can be used as small bread ovens, so that's a use for the old one with the broken crockpot.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Both sound good.

Onion, potato, leek, stock cube, water. Blitz. Mmm.

Reply to
mogga

You forgot the lump of butter melted in before serving!

Reply to
polygonum

Is that the one they blend the chicken carcas in on the TV promos?

Reply to
mogga

Strange this chicken carcass lark. After a lot of faffing about you end up with mostly pure gelatin, which actually has no flavour at all

Reply to
stuart noble

You put the butter on bits of french bread and dip that in :)

Reply to
mogga

As well...

Reply to
polygonum

Well I shall try the lump of butter dropped in before serving next time I make it.

I planted 60 leeks on my allotment a few months ago. At the time I thought 'that's a lot' but suspect it isn't. :)

Reply to
mogga

cooked/tinned items and liquids at the end it can make a fair bit more in = one go.

ms dirty, set and forget. 3yr warranty. Does smooth, chunky, and mix of bot= h.

ean routine was just a salesman's dream. A lot of unusually loud and entire= ly pointless beeping.

processing time. If some folk want to work for half an hour every time for = years for =A340 I guess that's their choice.

servings a go =3D =A31.70 less, so its paid its cost completely after 23 u= ses, and there's the labour saved too.

our at the stove, blending, and cleaning things up. I could use a food proc= essor, but the hand blender is less cleaning.

t. Afterwards the cleanup's quicker because of the semieffective self clean= .

What's your problem with simmering? I never find the need to stand over then pan for that length of time.

E.g. potato, onion, leek, butter, sherry, seasoning left over a low light to sweat for 10 mins, stirring occasionally. Add stock, bring to boil, simmer until done. Total time at the stove less than 5 mins. Easily time to do something else in between.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q