Advertised prices or not?

I often see full- or half=page ads for products, which once in a while look interesting. But most such half-or full-page newspaper or magazine ads have no price, not even a hint. My feeling is, if there's no price I probably can't or don't want to afford it. Not worth going to web sites, make phone calls, etc. How about you?

Reply to
KenK

The saying goes "If you have to ask how much it costs, you can't afford it".

Reply to
Mr. Emann

Depends on the product. Retail prices can vary so much that a manufacturer can only give a suggested price. Some products can vary wildly with options. Some ads with prices are sort of misleading too. You can by this new Lamborghini for only $129 a month, but the fine print says you need a $130,000 down payment.

If truly interested, I can Google the item and have a ball park price in seconds. OTOH, most full page ads for a product are not worth my time.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Many times they want you to call the 800 number to get a price. They think that if you do call , you will buy from them. Often the ads are placed by the campany that makes the item, but does not sell to the public, so the dealer prices can vary all over the place.

If I see an ad I look at it and if it seems to meet the need or desire, I google it and find the prices. Then decide if it is worth the money.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I just buy if I need it.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I think there is even an app. for that.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

You're right.

One time I really did need something, before the web, and I called two or three places and one guy wouldn't give me a price, and I said, calmly, "It must be expensive if you won't give me a price. " and he gave me the price.

IIRC it was sort of high but certainly not outrageous. I forget the rest of the story.

Reply to
Micky

"Bob F" wrote in news:n54c8a$50a$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Yep! Maybe we should look at that the same way as the no-price ads - the shipping and handling charges will be horrific - don't finish the purchase!

Reply to
KenK

That's usually what I do. I would think they lose more business than they gain this way. I'll pay normal shipping (it doesn't have to be really low like some places are now) but I don't want to spend time telling them all about myself, including cc$ until I know what the shpping is.

Reply to
Micky

I avoid all those scams by using Amazon. They are my go-to source for almost everything.

FWIW, the worst companies now are the phone/TV/Internet providers. They advertise a low-ball price then jack up the final price with modem rental fees, set-top box rental fees, DVR fees, HD Technology fees, digital outlet fees, CableCARD fees, etc.

Reply to
Leisure Suit Larry

There is certainly something missing in your story. What did he expect you to do without a price? I can't imagine that he expected you to place an order.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

There are a number of reports circulating these days about Amazon no longer being the lowest-cost provider they used to be, especially if you log on via a Mac.

But you're spot-on about the phone/TV/internet providers. One cute trick Comcast pulls is negotiating a decent rate with you for 6-9-12 months or whatever-- then after a couple of months, they jack your bill right back up,

When you call to complain, they say well we see called us on that date back then-- but we have no documentation of the conversation-- or the confirmation number you're giving us does not show that rate for that length of time.

After a half dozen repeats of that scenario, I've quit them and gone with ATT. Sure hope they're better!!

Reply to
Wade Garrett

I have not read this whole thread, but I have a policy. If stores dont price items, I go elsewhere. Granted, sometimes a price label is missing on a certain item, and I'll ask the price, but if I go to a flea market or rummage sale, and nothing is priced, I dont stick around. Having to ask the price for everything is just plain annoying.

Reply to
Paintedcow

If an artical is not priced at the flea markets I just throw out what I think is a low ball price. Sometimes they take it, sometimes they tell me I am full of it and don't want to talk to me about it. If it is something I think I would really like to have, then I ask what they are asking and then offer them about 10 to 30 % less to see if they will take it.

A while back I asked a fellow that was packing up to leave what he wanted for something that I would like to have but did not want it at the price he stated. Told him that was way much more than I wanted to pay . He cut the price in half.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

That may be, but they are reliable. My wife found a few item on Wayfair and wanted to order them.. I checked on Amazon and found them for $30 less. Funny part is, it stated:Sold by Amazon, fulfilled by Wayfair" Pays to shop around.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I resent the thought that prices vary from one customer to another.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Turnabout is fair play. be annoying. Ask the price of everything.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I was at a rummage sale, the seller had a computer with flat screen monitor for $50, and it was newer than the one I was using, plus had a big 750gb hard drive. It was priced, but I did not have much cash on me. I did ask for some details about it. I ended up buying some small item for about $3 and started to walk away, when the seller said, "If you want that computer, give me $25, and I'll even toss in a mouse, keyboard and power cord, and if it dont work, you can return it". I could not pass that up. It worked well and even had a working copy of XP installed on it. THAT WAS EASY !!!

Reply to
Paintedcow

That's for sure. At a "surplus" store here, a friend saw a digital camera for $50, probably reconditioned, but before he bought it, I googled and I found the same recon camera for from 50 to 200 online, while I found a new one for 100, something like that. Selling recon for twice new!! Same model, same color, same "kit".

Reply to
Micky

He wanted me to come to the store.

Reply to