Aldi soupmaker

=A340 today. 1.2l soup, not 1.7l as advertised. By only adding the cooked/t= inned items and liquids at the end it can make a fair bit more in one go.

Pros: no need to watch boiling things, no need to get multiple items dirty,= set and forget. 3yr warranty. Does smooth, chunky, and mix of both.

Cons: not a single part is dishwashable, and of course the self clean routi= ne was just a salesman's dream. A lot of unusually loud and entirely pointl= ess beeping.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

To go with their:

Taken from their email today entitled "Try our NEW tasty ready meals"

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

So it's a slow cooker then?

Oh, not really, because the insert that holds the food in mine, lifts out to go in the dishwasher

Reply to
Phil L

items and liquids at the end it can make a fair bit more in one go.

and forget. 3yr warranty. Does smooth, chunky, and mix of both.

was just a salesman's dream. A lot of unusually loud and entirely pointless beeping.

I tend to go for large batches when making soup, and used to use a Kenwood liquidiser attachment. It gave a good result, but was messy and time consuming, its capacity being small compared to the pan.

The answer was a Bamix hand-held blender - fast and easy. Also great for non-lumpy sauces.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

cooked/tinned items and liquids at the end it can make a fair bit more in one go.

set and forget. 3yr warranty. Does smooth, chunky, and mix of both.

was just a salesman's dream. A lot of unusually loud and entirely pointless beeping.

Not Bamix, but very definitely a stick blender.

We often make two different soups at the same time - which is no problem with a quick rinse of the stick blender. But would be tedious with any liquidiser-based approach.

Also much better if you want to end up with a semi-chunky/semi-smooth soup.

Reply to
polygonum

Good grief. What a waste of space (and money)!

A fool and his money etc...

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

yerrss.

Its usually women who think that e.g. buying a bread maker will result in them actually making bread etc.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

but a fair few men think that spending =A310000 in Axminster will turn them into Chippendale.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I cannot speak for the Aldi soup maker, however I have the Culishart model, that is excellent. I make a lot of soup and that is the easiest way I have found. Plus there is no serious washing up after!"

Reply to
Broadback

Lifting that many tools might make them look like one though.

Reply to
fred

cooked/tinned items and liquids at the end it can make a fair bit more in = one go.

ty, set and forget. 3yr warranty. Does smooth, chunky, and mix of both.

utine was just a salesman's dream. A lot of unusually loud and entirely poi= ntless beeping.

That's what I was doing before. This thing frees up the cooking and process= ing time. If some folk want to work for half an hour every time for years f= or =A340 I guess that's their choice.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

ked/tinned items and liquids at the end it can make a fair bit more in one = go.

irty, set and forget. 3yr warranty. Does smooth, chunky, and mix of both.

routine was just a salesman's dream. A lot of unusually loud and entirely p= ointless beeping.

ssing time. If some folk want to work for half an hour every time for years= for =A340 I guess that's their choice.

Compared to tinned soup it cuts the costs from 59 to 25p a portion. 5 servi= ngs a go =3D =A31.70 less, so its paid its cost completely after 23 uses, a= nd there's the labour saved too.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Doesn't it?

Damn...

Reply to
polygonum

Just had a bowl of butternut squash and bacon soup. If I could only take one item of food to my desert island, it would probably be this

Reply to
stuart noble

One of the best ones we make is a bit of onion, garlic, chilli and chorizo sizzled up in olive oil and then tinned chopped tomatoes added.

One saucepan, easily cleaned, is all it needs.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

cooked/tinned items and liquids at the end it can make a fair bit more in one go.

set and forget. 3yr warranty. Does smooth, chunky, and mix of both.

routine was just a salesman's dream. A lot of unusually loud and entirely pointless beeping.

processing time. If some folk want to work for half an hour every time for years for £40 I guess that's their choice.

a go = £1.70 less, so its paid its cost completely after 23 uses, and there's the labour saved too.

Perhaps we are greedy gits, but partner and I can easily polish off 1.2 litres (or more!) of freshly made soup as a meal. And when we make any, we almost invariably do enough for at least two portions each - and the second (or third) simply get chilled until tomorrow, or frozen.

So we do not need to get pans out, watch it, etc., every soup day. Whereas with that machine we would have to do whatever it needs every soup day.

Indeed, with such a machine we would need to get out the chopping boards, knives, etc., every day we wanted soup.

I cannot understand your price analysis. But I would be comparing against non-machine made soup rather than cans. (I either make soup or buy soup. It is almost never a case of substituting bought for for home-made or vice versa.) So, for the equivalent bowlful, the ingredient cost would be unchanged. Savings would have to be found in other costs - electricity/gas, washing up, etc.

Reply to
polygonum

We do butternut & apple (and onion) with a little curry powder. Truly lovely. But I do rather fancy a bit of bacon in there...

Reply to
polygonum

How hard is washing up one pan, a knife and a spoon?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

My money is on it being in the back of a kitchen cupboard within 2 months (and with your 23 uses never reached) and off to a car boot sale in 5 years when it's "rediscovered".

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

The washing up is the thing with the Kenwood Chef blender. So many bits and all of them difficult to dry

Reply to
stuart noble