Aladdin Isolator Valve

They even sell another tool to allow replacing the valve core, still keeping the water supply live, but somewhat less inspiring that you might need to replace the core ...

I was hoping it would let you see what had happened to the pipe when it was removed, but no such luck :-(

Reply to
Andy Burns

replying to GB, Matthew Gould wrote: I installed two aladdin isolating valve successfully this afternoon coming off the mains water pipe. However they have both suddenly stopped working not allowing water through about 2 hours after both working well? I turned them both off to install a new toilet and after being turned off for a few minutes i turned them on again to refill the cistern and the flow stopped. The mains to the block of flats is still functioning. Is it possible the slugs are blocking the water flow if indeed the slugs are free? Any thoughts please?

Reply to
Matthew Gould

Now the original thread for this which is on Usenet is however still viewable on this weird site Home owners club portal. It might have been better given this is just a portal, to have either started a new thread or at least quoted some of the old one since most reading it are not going to go to the web site to read the back story.

My guess is that these devices are pretty crude, Anything that is supposed to work as a tap on a working main without it being cut runs the risk of jamming debris in the pipe and all sorts of other nasties in my view.

Sadly one cannot see into your pipe but I bet its jammed with bits of the cutting or sealing process somehow. Yuk. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Although you cannot see it Brian, there is a Youtube video of one being dismantled. When fitting the valve the pipe is fully cut and the debris compressed as a slug in the recess in the back of the fitting.

dismantling is after the pressure testing bit.

That is assuming that the valves have been installed correctly in the first place and the cutter was fully wound in.

If the handle on the valve is working and can be turned than I doubt that the debris slug could fully block the pipe and water would still flow, maybe at a reduced rate.

One has to wonder if the fill valve to the toilet is actually the problem and its that that is not opening to allow the toilet to fill?

Reply to
alan_m

I had not seen that video before, Alan, so thanks for that. It's quite clear from the video that, if the cutter is wound fully in, the slug is held in place at the back of the fitting by the cutter.

The only possible reasons for the OP's issues are:

  1. Defective Aladdin devices - both of them.
  2. Incorrect installation.
  3. Some other blockage.

Unfortunately, it's impossible to say which. I suggest the OP contacts Aladdin customer service for advice.

Reply to
GB