Aerial installation rip offs

The first I knew about it was when I had a job in Flockton back in August.

Reply to
ARW

"Was" is the important word. Rules have changed.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Yes - product placement is also now allowed.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

How did those (and many other detrimental) changes get through?

Ever been frustrated that you can't *disagree* with a petition? If so, visit

255soft.uk - and please pass it on, too.
Reply to
J. P. Gilliver (John)

I wonder what is the mechanism by which advertising rules have been so relaxed? Aggressive 'lobbying'? Bribery? Threats that the whole commercial TV system will collapse?

Reply to
Max Demian

On 10:44 3 Dec 2018, "Dave Plowman (News)" snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk> wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk:

I meant connected adverts in advertising breaks not in the actual programme material. I presume this hasn't changed.

Reply to
Pamela

Ever watched the Gadget Show?

If you can find a rule preventing it in the current regulations, which, together with guidance notes, are all available online, let us know.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

They abolished the IBA.

You have to remember TV is a vehicle to make money. The service it provides to the customer secondary.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Quite common to see the same actors in a commercial within a prog they appear in.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In message snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk>, "Dave Plowman (News)" snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk> writes

At one time, where it was avoidable, there was an embargo on displaying or maintaining most identifiable brand names in TV and radio programmes. In pubs, the beer pumps had fake names on them - or just happened to be subtly covered with a cloth. In kitchens, boxes and jars were turned so you couldn't quite see the brand. In 'The Archers' The Bull serves the fictitious 'Shires' beers - although I'm pretty sure that, on special occasions, it actually becomes a reality.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

the Rowan & Martin Laugh-In (1960s) had some of its best sketches (IMHO) removed for UK audience since they were promoting products.

Reply to
charles

... and piano lids always had a piece og black masking tape stuck over the makers name!

Something that has just occurred to me though: pop groups never had the makers' names obliterated on their amplifiers and drum kits, did they?

Reply to
Terry Casey

"The Steinway people have asked me to announce that this is a Bechstein Piano" - Victor Borge

Reply to
charles

Ah yes, the 525 picture shown on 625 with a black border!

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Quite - although you could also say that was to stop them getting free advertising. Since if you feature someone playing a piano, the name is going to be very prominent.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That's the one

Reply to
charles

I don't remember that and I worked on editing the shows for BBC transmission. Can you link to any pictures to remind me?

Reply to
The Other John

This would be in 1967 when the electronic standards converter did not have a frame store. By 1968 (Mexico Olympic) the Research Dept beast (7 bays worth) was operating and the pictures looked the right size.

Reply to
charles

ISTR that at one point there was a trade war of sorts between the two top concert piano makers Steinway and Bechstein which became particularly litigeous; revolving around the fact that either maker had signed up performers in exclusives to use only their brand. Which then created difficulties in venues with the wrong make installed.

Although the idea that endorsement by leading performers might in any way affect the sales of competing makes of concert grand pianos does seem a bit ludicrous maybe it simply comes down to prestige

Unlike cocert grands drum kits and amps are portable, many were highly customised and there is probably little incentive for perfomers to play with the wrong non-endorsed kit.

michael adams

Reply to
michael adams