Adjusting hinged doors

<snip>

Sounds like that is a feature some of us enjoy then. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Is it possible your door can distort into a parallelogram? I have that trouble with my front door which is just a frame holding a glass panel. I have installed a steel cable across a diagonal and apply tension to pull the door back into shape. The cable doesn't show because it lies between two ornamental triangular scrolled metal pieces that give the impression of security from outside.

Reply to
Dave W

The door should have plastic packers between the glass and the frame so that the glass takes a load and prevents the frame distorting.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

The load ultimately goes throgh the wood to the hinges

Reply to
John

Took some finding:

John

Demountable hinge - surprised they didn't catch on:

John

That's neat, thanks ... and they did catch on on kitchen cupboard doors and the like (not the same design but principle).

I still like the 'rising' bit of rising butts but at least they cover the quick removal bit and the doors don't need tweaking to cater for the rise etc.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

But not if it?s a ?standard wooden internal hinged door?....

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

T i m snipped-for-privacy@spaced.me.uk> wrote in news:3r7l4f5mibv9m22c8bd8d2r19iokm22ugb@

4ax.com:

The helix of a rising butt hinge - if neglected gets a bit messy with black metallic sludge. Less bearing surface than a multi leaf hinge.

Reply to
John
<snip>

Your oven must be immaculate. ;-)

Maybe and we have only been here 40 years so far (and I fitted the RB as one of the first jobs I did while I was rebuilding it) and they don't seem to have worn away yet, even on the lounge door that must be opened and closed 10's of times every day.

I guess it's 'horses for courses' thing and I'd rate the advantages of RB over traditional hinges sufficient to make them a must.

But then I live in a 120+ year old house where few things were perfect, even when new. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

A removable pin is much easier and only needs a thinner pin, with a head on one end, rather than a different design of hinge.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

When properly packed, the glass is positioned against the packers on the hinged side of the door and as it is packed on all four sides and the glass cannot twist, it holds the door square. If you moved the hinges to the other side, the loads and packing positions would need to be different and if not moved, the door would droop.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

No, but internal wooden doors are effectively self-bracing.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Very true, but we don't know what the OP thinks is standard. He hasn't replied to anyone.

Reply to
Dave W

In my case there is nothing wrong with the door. It was originally roughly fitted with no flooring down. It is only now the flooring has gone down and gave the issue. As mentioned above it is sorted now having packed the bottom hinge out as suggested.

My doors are standard 6 panel wood doors. No glass.

Reply to
Lee Nowell

thanks Steve, I think I know how to fix my conservatory door now

Reply to
misterroy