Adjusting hinged doors

Packing the bottom hinge will only lift the far side when it is closed. As the door is swung open, the geometry of the lift will diminish until it reaches zero when the door is open to 90 degrees.

Neither. Trim the bottom of the door. ;-)
Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls

Demountable hinge - surprised they didn't catch on:
https://tinyurl.com/tn4qdmp

That's neat, thanks ... and they did catch on on kitchen cupboard doors and the like (not the same design but principle).
I still like the 'rising' bit of rising butts but at least they cover the quick removal bit and the doors don't need tweaking to cater for the rise etc.
Cheers, T i m

The helix of a rising butt hinge - if neglected gets a bit messy with black metallic sludge. Less bearing surface than a multi leaf hinge.
<snip> >> I still like the 'rising' bit of rising butts but at least they cover

Your oven must be immaculate. ;-)

Maybe and we have only been here 40 years so far (and I fitted the RB as one of the first jobs I did while I was rebuilding it) and they don't seem to have worn away yet, even on the lounge door that must be opened and closed 10's of times every day.
I guess it's 'horses for courses' thing and I'd rate the advantages of RB over traditional hinges sufficient to make them a must.
But then I live in a 120+ year old house where few things were perfect, even when new. ;-)
Cheers, T i m
On 17/02/2020 13:32, John wrote:

A removable pin is much easier and only needs a thinner pin, with a head on one end, rather than a different design of hinge.
SteveW
On Sat, 15 Feb 2020 02:01:24 -0800 (PST), Lee Nowell

Is it possible your door can distort into a parallelogram? I have that trouble with my front door which is just a frame holding a glass panel. I have installed a steel cable across a diagonal and apply tension to pull the door back into shape. The cable doesn't show because it lies between two ornamental triangular scrolled metal pieces that give the impression of security from outside.
--
Dave W

On 16/02/2020 23:04, Dave W wrote:

The door should have plastic packers between the glass and the frame so that the glass takes a load and prevents the frame distorting.
SteveW

The load ultimately goes throgh the wood to the hinges
On 17/02/2020 08:52, John wrote:

When properly packed, the glass is positioned against the packers on the hinged side of the door and as it is packed on all four sides and the glass cannot twist, it holds the door square. If you moved the hinges to the other side, the loads and packing positions would need to be different and if not moved, the door would droop.
SteveW

Took some finding: https://tinyurl.com/tn4qdmp

But not if it’s a “standard wooden internal hinged door”....
Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls

On 17/02/2020 15:26, Tim+ wrote:

No, but internal wooden doors are effectively self-bracing.
SteveW

Very true, but we don't know what the OP thinks is standard. He hasn't replied to anyone.
--
Dave W

In my case there is nothing wrong with the door. It was originally roughly fitted with no flooring down. It is only now the flooring has gone down and gave the issue. As mentioned above it is sorted now having packed the bottom hinge out as suggested.
My doors are standard 6 panel wood doors. No glass.