Lock for hinged lid query

I want to fit a lock to a hinged lid on a chest. I cannot think of a device to do this job. Can anyone help me Blair

Reply to
Blair

item 57240 or padlock and hasp?

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

How about uploading some pictures to a suitable web site and posting links to them, here?

There are literally thousands of locks that might do. Including less usual solutions like a spring-loaded bolt that is retracted with an external magnet. Or a gravity bolt that it engaged/disengaged by tilting the chest.

But generally chests use a lock where the bolt rotates (camlock) and has an "L" ending that engages within the striker plate on the lid.

Reply to
Palindr☻me

Thanks for your help but I didn't want a padlock and hasp for appearances sake. Otherwise all the examples in your web site would not lock a vertical lid coming down on an upright.. Blair

Reply to
Blair

Thanks for your suggestions. The last paragraph sounds like the ideal solution. But the sites which list locks do not mention that type. Any idea of a site which would? I tried Google and got a site with camlocks but all the active parts are in a straight line. Blair

Reply to
Blair

Me, I buy regular camlocks and cut and file a notch in the side to turn them into the "L" type. The proper ones are available but are a lot more expensive.

That way, I have the freedom to position the lock and plate where I want (within limits, obviously).

You can use a regular strike plate, as shown on Peter's recommended website, IIRC.

If you cut the notch on an angle, it will progrssively pull the lid shut as the key is turned, shutting the lid nice and tightly..

If you want it a little more secure, cut the notch in the trailing edge so that the key has to be turned clockwise to *unlock*. Most thieves trying to force the lock will try to force it clockwise - which just locks it tighter..

Reply to
Palindr☻me