top-hinged garage door?

When I was a lad, our garage door was hinged across the top. When you opened it, it did not use up any space inside the garage.
They don't seem to make these any more: garage doors either lift up entirely into the roof space or sit with 2/3 in and 1/3 out.
Is there a good reason why people don't top-hinge them any more? For a garage that is really a workshop it would seem ideal, leaving all the roof space for storing 'stuff'.
Robert
RobertL formulated on Friday :

I have never seen a top hinged one, I would imagine it would take quite a lot of counter balancing. A modern roller design, with a concentric motor, fits in a tiny space and leaves all of the roof space clear.
--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)