top-hinged garage door?

When I was a lad, our garage door was hinged across the top. When you opened it, it did not use up any space inside the garage.

They don't seem to make these any more: garage doors either lift up entirely into the roof space or sit with 2/3 in and 1/3 out.

Is there a good reason why people don't top-hinge them any more? For a garage that is really a workshop it would seem ideal, leaving all the roof space for storing 'stuff'.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

RobertL formulated on Friday :

I have never seen a top hinged one, I would imagine it would take quite a lot of counter balancing. A modern roller design, with a concentric motor, fits in a tiny space and leaves all of the roof space clear.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

replying to RobertL, William Russell wrote: I had one back in the 80's. I answered an ad in the newspaper for a garage door and went down and picked up and carried it back home on the top of my van! It was made out of aluminum and it was counter-weighted by bricks on the top portion of the door above the hinge. I go by the old house on occasion and it was still there the last time. It was perfect as it was easy to lift up and gave some extra working room in front of the garage. I just started looking for information on one for my new shed and as you say they no longer seem to be known about. It was perfect for me back then and I'm going to make one for my shed. I have no idea whey they are no longer sold but maybe there was no need to repair them. The new doors are a pain and always need something whether it's a broken spring or roller. The only thing is the upper hinge door doesn't lend itself to remote operation for a couple of different reasons. Not a deal breaker for me.

Reply to
William Russell

replying to RobertL, Rickws wrote: How funny I've just found this question from 2014 and I've got the same issue in 2020 and still no solution. I'll fit a roller shutter door but would have like to keep the old door hinged from the top so that it could still open 100% outside (not the 2/3in as you've described) to create an outside working space. Suspect my idea won't work but can't find the solution I really want.

Reply to
Rickws