Adjusting a TV

This is probably blindingly obvious to some, but wasn't to me ...
We have an ordinary flat screen TV which receives little use, but looks OK when it is used, until I started watching world cup games, and realised a strip of image is being cut off, both sides. Ah! Aspect ratio. No - even at 4:3 a black strip at both sides but the picture itself incomplete. RTFM no good, that just talks about plugging stuff in and basic tuning. OK, much digging through on screen menus and adjusting, to no avail.
Google to the rescue. The setting I needed was within the Thompson set top box, not the TV itself. Reset that, and all is well. Must have had that box for 15 years, and had no idea it did anything other than channels. Hey ho.
--
Graeme

<snip> >Google to the rescue. The setting I needed was within the Thompson set

Being an IT / hardware guy I often check to see if there are any firmware updates for such things, assuming they don't update themselves OTA.
A mate gave me quite a good laser printer that he was fed up with because it kept going to sleep and wouldn't wake up and 'couldn't be bothered with it' any more.
I checked online and found there was a V1.02 of the firmware and it was running V1.01. A quick upgrade later and it was fine and I have been using it (with it sleeping and waking up) ever since.
Also, because we had a Topfield STB from the early days of them I'm also quite used to upgrading the Taps on that. I believe that defaults to 4:3 after a factory restore.
Mobile phones and online tablets tend to prompt you that there are OS / firmware updates, even if you have to Ok them manually. PC / Laptop Mobo BIOS's are often way out of date and again, I generally try to bring them up to date, especially if it's a new-to-me box that I'm playing with.
Even optical drives can often enjoy a firmware upgrade. ;-)
My thought on it is this ... in most cases upgrading doesn't do any harm (you can brick stuff though) and sometimes does visible good. That the manufacturers don't necessarily list all the issues it fixes and I have seen things fixed when the release notes didn't suggest it should. The manufacturers / developers wouldn't generally release new code for 'no reason'.
Cheers, T i m
The inverse is possible though. It seems recent windows 10 drivers for realtek hardware have introduced a power saving function that switches the hardware off when its not in use much, but not in use much is set to seconds, not minutes and there is no way to stop it so a lot of blind folk are finding that their audio speech is sluggish to start on new menu items or for clips off the first little bit of words. I understand the Microsoft are aware of this but most newer labptops have to use the latest drivers if they use windows 10 since the older ones will only work on out of date versions of windows 10. I have read a lot of disgruntled blind folks messages in the last couple of months, since a new laptop that otherwise flies along is now being crippled even with all power saving settings turned off due to this stupid new 'feature'.
I am often glad I use old software! Brian
--
----- --
On Sun, 8 Jul 2018 09:23:53 +0100, "Brian Gaff"

But how do you know if it isn't broke?
Something may not be working properly (like video performance) that has been fixed and you will never see it?
And aren't we supposed to ensure we are 'up to date' to be the most secure?
Cheers, T i m
Brian Gaff explained :

One thing I really miss in W10, is the ability to adjust the keyboard repeat rate. Whilst editing text, I often have to make my way back along a line of text, using the cursor keys. The fixed repeat rate makes his use of the cursor keys very slow indeed, such that it is sometimes quicker to just point and click with the mouse. Very annoying, unless anyone has found a way to adjust it?
On 08/07/18 10:35, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Not running windows 10here, but:
If you're happy editing the registry - https://superuser.com/questions/1077223/windows-10-keyboard-repeat-rate-delay-keeps-changing
Or - https://bltt.org/adjust-windows-keyboard-repeat-rate/
Richard laid this down on his screen :

I tried that before, it made no difference

That does not exist on my Laptop's settings.. No adjustment for delay, no adjustment for repeat rate.
On 08/07/18 12:41, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Oh well...
I'm sure that setting still exists in windows 10. I use windows 7, not because of this or any other prejudice but I rebel against effectively having a completely new untested version of Windows installed every half a year with all the attendant resets of parameters needed and incompatibility of software already running OK and indeed complete removal of some software on the excuse you need to buy microsofts new version of office when the old stuff worked perfectly well till then. Brian
--
----- --

So do I.

It’s a lot less often than every half year now.

I have stuck with 2003, largely because it would be a massive amount of work to move to the latest access given that the UI has changed so dramatically.

There are a few things Win10 does better, most obviously with paired windows.
I would use that, but only so I could have Freecell Pro and notebook paired and may just have another machine just for that running Win10 so I can keep running what I use for usenet and access 2003 on Win7

On Monday, 9 July 2018 10:26:10 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:

Why use an old system I;d have thought with all yuo auto on lights and everything else yuo spend money ona the latest OS would be your default.
Thought you might have a top end PC or Mac.

And you call me a dinosaur. I considering my 2010 mac-mini to be old.

I guess for you it could cause problems.

Security being one of them, but not yet upto mac standard.

Why ? what's so specail about newsnet that you need software from 2003 ?

Because some of the stuff I run every day wont run on Win10.
Same reason as Brian.

It never is because stupid MS keeps stopping you using stuff that is included or free with the older OSs of theirs.
In theory you can run a virtual OS for the apps that wont run on the new OS, but in practice that’s not as good as running the older OS natively.

I do machine wise, but not OS wise.
I have been tempted to add a decent Mac to so iOS apps but havent gotten around to adding one yet.

But you stupidly use cash to pay for most stuff in person.

The security is fine. You wont be able to get into any of my systems.

My total system wouldn’t be any more secure with a Mac and it would be much worse for usenet and the database stuff.

I don’t for that. Its only office that is 2003, stupid.

The fix for that is to move using crtl arrow, steps by words instead of character.

Rod Speed wrote on 08/07/2018 :

Which is what I have to do.. Its just that I am used to/always found a fast repeat easier..
On 08/07/18 12:45, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Try this: https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/863qo4/no_keyboard_repeat_delayrate_setting_in_windows_10/
<q> EDIT: The only way I could find to access the keyboard repeat rate is through Control Panel itself (Start > Run > "control") > Keyboard (you'll need to change View By to Icons). </q>
It works on the wife's Macbook with Parallels running windows 10.
Richard pretended :

Thanks, but zilch to be found..

Dunno what you have managed to do to your system, its there fine in a clean install of Win10 here.
On 08/07/18 18:16, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Damn. One last shot. Have you tried to remove the keyboard from Device Manager?