Anyone recomend a Digital TV aeriel?

Hi-gain,outdoor in the region of 20/25
Yes I know a normal analogue aerial on a freeview box will work when the switchover applies but the sister doesn't want a FV box hooked up to the TV.
Cheers.
Excuse me if I'm wrong, but when you say the old aerial will work after the switchover with a freeview box, it won't work with a TV with freeview built in? I thought it would have worked.
SantaUK
SantaUK wrote:

The freeview channels in many areas will be boosted in power, or moved to the current analogue frequencies for which your aerial was intended, when the analogue signals are turned off.
In the meantime, the digital frequencies are transmitted at lower power or on out-of-group frequencies, to which your aerial is less sensitive.
Owain

Ours works.

The reason an analogue one will work is because there is no such thing as a digital aerial, they are all analogue.
You will not get digital TV by just changing the aerial, you /need/ either:-
a satellite box + disk a freeview TV + aerial a freeview set top box + aerial

I bet you I can post a URL to a digital aerial Dennis. ;-)

Go on then.

Maplins Code: A57CW
8<

That's an analogue aerial with the words digital added to fool the less knowledgeable. It will probably work with analogue TV but not very well as it doesn't appear to be very directional and you suffer multipath interference (ghosts).
If anything you can use a cheaper poorer quality aerial for digital TV.
More totally misleading bull from Foggy Dewhurst.

Misleading as in true? There is no need for an expensive digital aerial and even less need after the digital switchover.
dennis@home laid this down on his screen :

That might well be true once analogue is turned off and the power of digital is increased, but for the moment digital muxes are quite weak. As distance from both signal sources is increased, digital is always the first to become completely unusable.
--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

I know, that means you might need a better aerial, but not a digital one.
Digital aerials are just an excuse to rip people off.
dennis@home expressed precisely :

Absolutely!
--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
George wrote:

I have a A22HG wide band, mind you it was not the current price when I brought mine and for an RG postcode works brilliant, and a lot cheaper than the 180 I was quoted to have one fitted and all I did was to point it in the same direction as the other ones nearby no fancy set up tools really needed I did buy strength meter A55HJ but it was next to useless as it to insensitive only having 5 LEDS the difference in degrees between a led going off was about 60 but as others have said you might not need a new aerial to pick up Digital just give it a try then buy one if its really needed
--
Kevin R
Reply address works

Hmmm, I fell for one of those and as you suggest not really that much use for alignment. I keep intending to add a small pot to it, to be able to adjust its sensitivity so at least you can get it to just light a LED at a peak. A cheap small analogue meter would have been much better.
--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Marketing gimmic to sell Joe Public aerials they didn't need.
--
Andrew Gabriel

Probably. :-)
George formulated on Sunday :

The only difference being that in some areas you may need a wider band antenna to pick up all of the muxes for your own area, because they are outside the bandwidth of a normal analogue antenna.
--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Ay?
You either need a TV with Freeview/Digital built in, or you need a Freeview box. The aerial is either good enough for Freeview or it isn't, it'll make no difference if you have a separate Freeview box or a TV with Freeview built-in.
--
Chris Green