Adhesive/filler to take a rawlplug+screw ?

The screw for the curtain pole managed to pull out today as I opened the curtains.

The rawlplug had really only gone into the plaster. I'm not sure of the construction of the window frame, but there seems to be something impenetrable further in.

Since it's lasted over 10 years, and the surrounding plaster is good, is there a chance of using something like No More Nails to fill and hold the plug, and then screw in when dry ?

Or should I investigate why I can't seem to drill any deeper than the plug went last time ?

Is a metal/steel lintel in a 1960s bungalow a possibility ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

A couple of times I've use no more nails with oversized dowels into block walls to take screws, rock solid.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Or concrete, but something is holding the roof up.

Bosch multiconstruction drills are good if you're not sure what you are drilling into.

Reply to
GB

Does that include gas pipes?

Reply to
Pancho

Likely a concrete lintel. Does an SDS work on it?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

more likely a reinforced concrete one - and you've hit a reinforcing rod.

Reply to
charles

car body filler. Don't even need the plug, just put the screw in ehen its rubbery befire its set hard

yes Or concrete

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It would have to be a real bodge job if there's a pipe running over the window ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Hmmm - I didn't have an SDS last time. Might be worth a try ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

How far in further than the plaster? Masonry drills will drill through concrete but baulk at a steel reinforcing rod or steel lintel.

A steel lintel will normally be obvious from looking into the hole and seeing a shiny surface after being polished by your drill.

Reply to
Fredxx

It appears to be RF based, judging by some of the terminology of "antennas". The higher end ones might amount to a phased array of some sort.

It can only see four inches into a wall though.

It is a sensor with OTG USB or something, for connection to an Android smartphone. Apparently it doesn't work with an iPhone. The phone provides the display as a readout for the thing (software is required to interpret the signals coming back and build an "image").

Now, if you could rent one of those, you might be able to get some idea what hides back there.

Some existing wall scanners, only give broad classifications of materials, and do not present an image.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

My previous house had perforated steel (Catnic?) lintels so I drilled holes in the lintels and used self-tappers - that gave a very secure fixing.

Reply to
nothanks

Personally I'd never trust a curtain pole whose fixings had *only* gone into the plaster. Plasterboard, or plaster on masonry? Agree with others that more likely to be concrete lintel than Catnic, but rebar should be getting on for 50mm deep (assuming say 12mm of plaster). You may need a good bit and an impact drill, lintels are usually quite good concrete with plenty of aggregate.

Reply to
newshound

One of those Bosch drills will go through a copper pipe like a hot knife through butter. Quite a bit longer to go through the old steel gas pipes.

Reply to
GB

But isnt likely to work as well with plaster.

Reply to
Fred

I regularly used to fix backboxes into crap masonry with it.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

And trunking with wires inside?

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

+1

I used a Bosch multiconstruction bit to drill into a lintel in our '60s bungalow when I needed to fit a new curtain pole. An ordinary TCT masonry bit just stopped when it hit what I assume was a rebar. The Bosch bit went through it.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Just in case it is metal, start with, say, a 4mm HSS bit then, if it still grinds rather than drills, try the SDS. Less chance of dammage that way. If you're lucky and it is metal, self-tapping screws will hold well. For somewhere that could get damp I form the ST thread with an ordinary steel ST then use st. st. - the former is less likely to break when forming the thread.

Reply to
PeterC

Cool.

But I use the circular saw or even just the multi-tool for cooper pipe.

Reply to
Pancho