Fireproof rawlplug

Putting in a metal fram around a fireplace, I'm currently thinking the easiest way will be to "glue" it with fireproof silicone sealant. However, part of me wants a methd that is easier to undo and so perhaps it would be better to screw it to the brickwork (using slots in the metal to allow for expansion). However, is there a heatproof version of the rawlplug? No point having it melt away when I first light a fire!

Reply to
Stephen Gower

I still have a small quantity of asbestos based rawlplastic for just such eventualities. No I am not selling it to you :=)

why not use exapnding metal bolts?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Cos I hadn't even thought about them as an option. Will investigate, ta.

Reply to
Stephen Gower

the metal frame around my fire uses magnets,would this work for you

Reply to
Alex

Because they'll expand with heat and crack the masonry?

Reply to
Rob Morley

In message , Stephen Gower writes

I fixed our cast iron fire back in place with small rawlbolts (metal bolts with an expanding metal collar). It's been in place maybe 8 years no problems. Even with the flames licking at the bolts.

Reply to
bof

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 18:31:23 -0000, Rob Morley strung together this:

Erm, they expand anyway. That's how expanding metal bolts work. As do any form of rawplug\rawlbolt etc... The expansion from heat will be a lot less than the expansion from tightening the bolt up.

Reply to
Lurch

No shit :-)

Just thought it might go that bit too far. Or work loose after a while with repeated expansion/contraction. Just thought ...

Reply to
Rob Morley

And if you're fitting intumescent fire collars etc, designed to prevent spread of a fire through gaps in walls etc, these bolts are specifically specified (!) for this, cos of the fact that normal plastic plugs would melt...

David

Reply to
Lobster

Now that is news to me. You live and learn..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

replying to Rob Morley, Mrs Tracy Moreton wrote: I use the screws that don'ta plug so easy and quick

Reply to
Mrs Tracy Moreton

I love reading HOH posts. All of a sudden I'm young again :-)

Reply to
Graham.

Yes I know, the site is the real problem not really making clear what it is posting to and what happens. On the sub line, one has to wonder who wants to put up a shelf to set fire to it. Or maybe they have not heard of rawl bolts, but perhaps the post was so old they had not been invented yet? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It mentions rawlplastic, which takes me back. I remember the special right angle tool it came with: a flat end to tamp it in the hole, and a pointed end to make the hole for the screw.

Reply to
Max Demian

Nov 18th 2004 !!!!.

If Steven Gower lived on the east coast or near Forby the house will now be part of the sea

Reply to
Andrew

I remember the ones like fibrous material parallel and with a hole in them. these new fangled plastic things with tapers and split bits etc, I've never had much luck with myself. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff