Adhesive/filler to take a rawlplug+screw ?

I put a curtain pole up over some french doors and found that a steel lintel meant I couldn't drill deep enough. The solution was to cut two pieces of wood about 10mm thick and 75mm x 150mm so that the pole fittings could be fixed to the wood and the wood fixed to the wall below the lintel at the sides. IOW using the wood to displace the wall fixings.

Corners bevelled and painted, looks fine and they're behind the curtains anyway.

Reply to
Clive Arthur

Depends on the crumbliness of the plaster. What I found was that a bigger blob of plaster fell out the next time! I have a feeling that my lintels are concrete though, but I'm not going to remove the plaster to find out, they put in an imitation lintel of wood so I simply lowered the curtains by an inch and screwed into it. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Only if the gas is off at the time I'd imagine if we are in a silly mood d today. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Or get a longer pole ?. Lintels will/should always have a 150mm overhang into the wall either side of the aperature.

Reply to
Andrew

Many thanks for all replies.

A 10mm SDS drill seemed to go in a bit further, and a rawlplug inside a rawlplug with a long screw appears to have made it more solid than originally.

If it lasts another 18 years, I'll be happy. Or dead :)

Reply to
Jethro_uk