Has Graham Norton got a sore throat ?

Just tuned into Virgin DAB to listen to Graham Norton and noticed an immediate change in his voice, almost as if he has a sore throat.

Then I pressed INFO on my Denon DM41 and I see that he is being broadcast on MP2 80K *mono*. Very noticible change from FM radio 2.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

Is he broadcasting from a broom-cupboard at home, instead of a proper studio?

Reply to
Andy Burns

His broom cupboard is probably more palatial than my living room, though.

Reply to
newshound

His voice was as normal as it ever is in last night's BBC1 show. It used to be recorded a couple of days before TX.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

DAB is the problem...

Reply to
Jimmy Stewart

Ours that does that due to the virus puts a towel over his head at home and sounds the same as usual.

Reply to
Fred

Yes the grittyness of some mono stuff is awful, try listening to some of the freeview feeds of stations. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

80K Mono is fine for speech/discussion, but the distortion with 'music' is too obvious compared to FM R2. I wonder why they bother with DAB at all and don't just go 100% online ?.
Reply to
Andrew

I do, but I didn't think Virgin was on Freeview ?

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew