Adhesive

I know this has been covered (currently *tile hall thread*) but...

Elderly David Brown tractor fitted with Q cab and hence sound reducing lining.

The lining is a flexible sandwich of Elephant hide vinyl over about 6mm of foam backed with some sort of fabric inner.

The problem is choosing the most suitable adhesive to re-fix. The area is approaching 1m2 over the curved inner surface of the metal mudguards.

40 years ago, I would simply apply contact Evostick to both surfaces, allow to dry and then attach with a pressure roller. Is this still the best way or..? Low foaming PU spray sounds easy...
Reply to
Tim Lamb

Contact adhesive still sounds to me like the best bet. Use the sort which allows a bit of positional adjustment before it grabs.

Reply to
Roger Mills

I would be tempted to try double sided adhesive carpet tape. That is very powerful and won't migrate into the foam, as some adhesives might.

Reply to
Nightjar

No direct contact with the foam as there is an inner fabric (woven terylene?). I suppose shortish strips would overcome curved surface issues.

Damp and thermal cycling might be a consideration.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I've found the current Evostick which uses a 'safer' solvent nothing like as good as the original.

Is there another easily available brand which is better?

I liked the Lidl contact adhesive - but not seen that on offer for ages, presumably for the same reason? Ie glue sniffers. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes:-(

Under the counter job at B+Q! Went off in the tin and expensive for size.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Consider yourself fortunate that there's enough metal to stick anything back to :)

Q cabs rust nicely round the windows and doors, and it's rare for the mudguards to survive long as the door restraint usually gives up the ghost and lets the door crash into the mudguard crushing them!

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

In message , Andrew Mawson writes

:-)

I have choice of two. 1210 built 1979 and a 1390 sometime in the '80's. Both stored under cover when not in work so superficial rust only.

I am considering reducing the fleet to save on insurance. Sadly the 1390 is not suitable for my manual sprayer controls and does not have either a locking or lifting hitch. The former being essential for my hedger.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Peter Parry

In message , Peter Parry writes

Nearest stockist is down in Hampshire!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In message , Tim Lamb writes

Actually Amazon has lots and Screwfix do 2.5l!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Fabric can allow liquids and vapours to pass through them.

I've found it remarkably tenacious in a variety of situations, including sticking things to a car trailer. If you try it and it doesn't work, it won't stop you trying something else later.

Reply to
Nightjar

In message , "Nightjar .me.uk"@?.?.invalid> writes

OK. I have a part used roll somewhere and can try a test strip.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Original product used Toluene as the solvent, which they are apparently no longer permitted to use in the EU. ISTR someone here at the time used lots of it in his woodwind instrument repair business (for fixing the cork pads to the keys), suddenly noticed it stopped working, and asked them why.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I suspect the solvent free version of Gripfil is crap. On a recent job it failed to stick any of the odds and ends you could rely on the original product to do. I used it because the flat was being slept in that night and the fumes from the solvent version are pretty strong.

Reply to
stuart noble